Cam Phaser engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same as the Ford GT. Looks like I get to test my new quick drain plug.
10W-40
15W-40 0W-40
0W-50 20W-40
25W-40
SN + EC II CJ + EC II synthetics Castrol, SHELL, Mobil, Valucraft, Pentosin
10W-40
15W-40
15W-50 0W-40
0W-50 20W-40
25W-40
SN + EC II CJ-4 + EC II only synthetics SHELL, Mobil, Castrol, Valucraft
5W-40
10W-50 0W-50 15W-50
20W-40
SN + EC II CJ-4 + EC II only synthetics SHELL, Castrol, Mobil
5W-50
10W-50 0W-50 15W-50
SN + EC II CJ-4 + EC II only synthetics SHELL, Castrol, Mobil

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im pretty sure i have the cam phaser issue talked about on this board, although my dealership wont acknowledge it and my question is will this cause engine damage or do i just live with it until i can find a dealership that will fix it? Been going on for about 4 months now.

Step on the gas pedestal when starting.

That will make the engine crank longer. It will build oil pressure.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you look at what they recommend for the Gen4 Expy you'll see a higher viscosity as well, since they're not concerned with fuel mileage like the factory is.

https://oilincar.com/ford/expedition/v_4-2016-.php

I agree with the info, but I am a little skeptical of a site that lists the 4th Gen as 16-21. It is 18-21. If you were going to do it based on when the EB was added to the Expedition it would still be wrong as that was 15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the info, but I am a little skeptical of a site that lists the 4th Gen as 16-21. It is 18-21. If you were going to do it based on when the EB was added to the Expedition it would still be wrong as that was 15.

Actually I take that back…the table is inconsistent.

Oils specs for the Motors should be the same for any 2nd Gen 3.5, which is in all 4th Gens 18-21. Not to mention, 16/17 should have the same specs too, again, same exact motor.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the dealership...

I have developed the cam phaser rattle in the last month or so. I have a road trip coming up in a few weeks and given that sometimes this job takes a while, I wanted to make sure it was ok for me to go on my road trip before having it fixed.

Two things he said:
1) I will 100% not do any damage to my engine by continuing to drive without addressing the rattle. Once the rattle stops (so, 2 seconds after start-up) the issue that causes the rattle has corrected itself and the engine is running normally. So no damage to the engine.
2) They have parts readily available and the "cam phaser job" takes a week.

All of that, to me, was great news. Oh, and they always do a full oil change following the cam phaser job to make sure all is well there.
Mine is doing it now as well. I have a wheel bearing on order for a warranty fix and I’m going to have them officially diagnose the rattle when they replace the bearing. Thankfully, I have the extended warranty because I’m about 800 miles until the factory one expires…. Ugh.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Step on the gas pedestal when starting.

That will make the engine crank longer. It will build oil pressure.

Did the cam phaser software update do just this? I’ve noticed that in a cold start situation the car cranks at least twice as long as when it’s hot. And it doesn’t appear to do it because it’s struggling to fire. When I first saw that software update I thought it was strange but maybe this is exactly what it does?

I presume my car has that update because it was listed on the carfax before delivery but not after. I obviously forgot to ask.

dwmarks

Reaction score
Cam phaser job took 2 days. In/out, no probs. At the end of the day, your experience probably depends mostly on the knowledge/competence/skills of your local dealer.