Cam Phaser engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

positivemojo

Reaction score
I did my own cam phasers and can help you out. First, bad cam phasers will impact performance and mileage. It will also likely impact oil pressure if a tensioner gasket is blown. It will get progressively worse and is not great on the valves since the timing is off.

It is very expensive to have repaired, easily $3,000-$5,000. Even if you do it yourself, it's not cheap. But it is worth doing. BTW - plan on it taking a week.

Do not have someone do it if they have not done it several times before. And even then, the job varies depending on what year Expedition is involved. Some have wiring harnesses that are a pain to move out of the way, some do not. My Expy is 2008 and was a pain.

After the cam phasers and other stuff was replaced my Expedition is like a rocket. It runs better than when it was new. So I highly recommend doing it - sooner rather than later.

Only use Ford OEM phasers. Do not allow any others to be installed. Seriously!

Whether you do them yourself or have them done, watch this video series first so that you are knowledgeable about what is being done. You will be very glad you did.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did my own cam phasers and can help you out. First, bad cam phasers will impact performance and mileage. It will also likely impact oil pressure if a tensioner gasket is blown. It will get progressively worse and is not great on the valves since the timing is off.

It is very expensive to have repaired, easily $3,000-$5,000. Even if you do it yourself, it's not cheap. But it is worth doing. BTW - plan on it taking a week.

Do not have someone do it if they have not done it several times before. And even then, the job varies depending on what year Expedition is involved. Some have wiring harnesses that are a pain to move out of the way, some do not. My Expy is 2008 and was a pain.

After the cam phasers and other stuff was replaced my Expedition is like a rocket. It runs better than when it was new. So I highly recommend doing it - sooner rather than later.

Only use Ford OEM phasers. Do not allow any others to be installed. Seriously!

Whether you do them yourself or have them done, watch this video series first so that you are knowledgeable about what is being done. You will be very glad you did.

The links you have provided are for the 5.4. This forum is for the 4th gen's with the 3.5L ecoboost. So none of it really applies. The 3.5 has four phasers that can make noise, but most of them seem to be covered by Ford

cruiseguy24

Reaction score
I was on the fence about getting mine fixed. My thought in the end is that Ford would not issue a TSB for this and agree to do major repairs under warranty if there was no harm being done. I know the official stance from Ford is the rattle is harmless and a nuisance, but the fact that they are agreeing to major expenses says otherwise.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was on the fence about getting mine fixed. My thought in the end is that Ford would not issue a TSB for this and agree to do major repairs under warranty if there was no harm being done. I know the official stance from Ford is the rattle is harmless and a nuisance, but the fact that they are agreeing to major expenses says otherwise.
I tend to agree. Although I was planning on waiting to have mine fixed until after our 1800 mile road trip, I reconsidered and mine's going in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed they can get it done in 2 weeks before we leave.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Im pretty sure i have the cam phaser issue talked about on this board, although my dealership wont acknowledge it and my question is will this cause engine damage or do i just live with it until i can find a dealership that will fix it? Been going on for about 4 months now.[/QUO

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This job definetly doesn't take a week, as long as the dealer has all the parts beforehand. I see them done in my shop often, and it's a 2 day affair.
It may not take a week for many. The heavy tech that did mine says he's super **** about the cleaning mating surfaces and letting curing take place, prior to any pressure. He was also usually doing two or three simultaneously, alternating between disassembly, cleaning, sealing, etc. When mine was on the lift, he showed me two more he was working on. Pretty nutso.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not take a week for many. The heavy tech that did mine says he's super **** about the cleaning mating surfaces and letting curing take place, prior to any pressure. He was also usually doing two or three simultaneously, alternating between disassembly, cleaning, sealing, etc. When mine was on the lift, he showed me two more he was working on. Pretty nutso.
Mine's done. I dropped it off last Thursday, it sat until Monday, and they just called to let me know it's done. New phasers, new rear brake pads, and an oil change.

Underdog66

Reaction score
i find it hard to believe that there is not long term damage if left unaddressed
On the 5.4 and the 4.6 ignoring the failed cam phasers WILL destroy the engine. I owned an 05 which had the engine replaced at 100,000 miles because the previous owner was told the noise was a 'normal' noise caused by a manifold leak. He was driving on the highway and the engine made a LOUD **** and just stopped running. The engine was so mistimed (out of phase) that one of the lifters dropped into the cylinder and sent the piston and rod into the oil pan. There were a million little shards of metal in the oil pan. Ignoring it turned a $2500 repair into a $5800 repair.