Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS2295

Reaction score
My Expedition is currently getting the timing chains and cam phasers replaced to fix the notorious cold start rattle. The dealer said that once the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty is up the repair/parts will not be covered anymore and the repair itself does not carry a warranty. So considering the repair would cost me $4200 if not covered under warranty I'm purchasing the extended warranty.

Out of curiosity I called corporate and found out the repair does carry a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Also found out the cam phasers are technically not covered under the powertrain warranty but instead covered under the emissions warranty which depends on your state. So for New York (California emissions state) there is a 7 year 70,000 mile emissions warranty.

Should I still purchase the extended service plan 48/48,000 for $1,890? Already spending $200 on new spark plugs and $900 on new tires(Nokian WRG4).

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know, personally I envision (and my dealer mentioned this too) that this will likely lead to some sort of major recall (or class action). Even though it supposedly doesn't harm functionality, there are thousands of them happening around the country. My dealer who's not that big, has now 6 vehicles waiting for parts to do this work. It's basically his master mechanics full time job right now. I kind of can't believe this. This is my first Ford, and the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought (by a lot), and this is not leaving me feeling very good.

I know a lot of folks have their persona thoughts on the warranties, but I have bought one with every car I've owned for about the last 15 years and it's never not paid for itself. On a previous Jeep, one of the first with GPS/Navi, the head unit went bad, cost $1800 just for that, paid for the warranty almost in one shot. On my last one, the Lidar pod went out, that was $2700, paid for the warranty and then some.

But make sure you shop around, I did and saved a ton on the warranty, there are lots of posts on who to get them from on here.

Dirk McGirt06

Reaction score
I would highly recommend the extended warranty. I agree with 5280tunage, in that there are lots of posts about which ones to buy and to shop around. The piece of mind that Ford protection plan warranty will give you, really is immeasurable. I ended up getting one 6 years/75,000 miles. As soon as I got it, I felt like a weight lifted off.

Knowing that I don't have to worry about paying the high fees for anything other than the regular wear and tear. It goes a long way for sure.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, floodford was the best price I found. But when I bought my expy, I actually took the quote from flood in to the dealer and when they showed me their price for the warranty, I showed the finanace manager the quote from flood. I'm a big "help my small local shop" kind of person so he went down to his cost and got close to Flood's price. He was actually pretty annoyed that another dealer was selling the warranty below his cost. But regardless, it worked out and was well worth it, he was able to get to within $100 so I went ahead and did it with the local shop.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 2 phasers done at just about 99,500 kms. Just squeaked in under the warranty. This week it went in for minor service and they are now telling me that I have a coolant leak. If it's the same thing as before, it was repaired TWICE. Can't help but think this may be related to when they worked on the phasers. That was done in May and now it's October and I have 112,000 kms.

OP
OP
JS2295

JS2295

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I guess I'll go ahead with the ESP. I would have rather put the money towards something else but what can you do. Not sure I want to absorb a $4200 risk. Plus the warranty covers other items, even brake calipers. I did give my dealer a quote from Ziegler Ford for $1,635. My dealer came down from $3200 to $1890. They said the charge $200 for the used car inspection that's needed for the ESP. This still makes me sick to my stomach. Wish this repair was covered by the standard 2 year unlimited mile warranty that comes with all Ford parts. Then I could save the $2k for an investment property or something.

Dealer just called said I need front brakes... that adds $460

Last edited:

Molardog

Reaction score
Yeah, floodford was the best price I found. But when I bought my expy, I actually took the quote from flood in to the dealer and when they showed me their price for the warranty, I showed the finanace manager the quote from flood. I'm a big "help my small local shop" kind of person so he went down to his cost and got close to Flood's price. He was actually pretty annoyed that another dealer was selling the warranty below his cost. But regardless, it worked out and was well worth it, he was able to get to within $100 so I went ahead and did it with the local shop.

That sounds like a great dealer to work with. When I bought my 2020 in August the business mgr sat there and lied to my face and told me the third party warranty he sold me for $3200 (6 yrs 100k miles) was indeed a Ford ESP. Thats what I got for not doing my homework in advance. So I cancelled it and bought the actual Ford ESP for half the cost. Still waiting for dealer to refund my money though.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 2 phasers done at just about 99,500 kms. Just squeaked in under the warranty. This week it went in for minor service and they are now telling me that I have a coolant leak. If it's the same thing as before, it was repaired TWICE. Can't help but think this may be related to when they worked on the phasers. That was done in May and now it's October and I have 112,000 kms.

This is what worries me the most about this service, it's pretty invasive. The number of things they have to take apart for this, screams like the potential for even more issues later. Its like getting into a bad accident where them almost total the car, you just know something is going to come up later related to it.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what worries me the most about this service, it's pretty invasive. The number of things they have to take apart for this, screams like the potential for even more issues later. Its like getting into a bad accident where them almost total the car, you just know something is going to come up later related to it.
Yep, as soon as the crack the engine cover or head whatever on the engine it's never the same imo.