Can 2008 be raised a few inches? Inexpen$ively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
If deep snow, can something be inserted somewhere (IN THE VEHICLE!) which could raise the chassis up to clear a little more snow?

Two shovels are carried in the SUV.
During blizzards I have done a lot of digging through snowdrifts at 4 a.m. to get to the blood center or to a hospital.
(This is why I was asking about larger wheels.)

Thank you.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THere are several companies that sell spacers for the coil over struts; around $300 for parts plus install (about $200 if you took it somewhere). You should be able to get a couple more inches out of this and bigger tires.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, my 08 is running the Truxxx 3/2 lift. I have about $700 into the kit, install, and new caster/camber keys. The kit claims 4x4 will clear 35's, but in reality a 33-34 is the better way to go, IMO.
eBay kits run 100-150, Truxxx, ReadyLift run slightly higher. I have more into the install(180 per axel) than the kit itself, but I never had to get dirty or bust up my knuckles.

Leissleib

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I just got the Truxx 3/2 lift at autoanything.com, $221.21 to my door. My buddy, who is a mechanic and I are installing it tomorrow.

Leissleib

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, my 08 is running the Truxxx 3/2 lift. I have about $700 into the kit, install, and new caster/camber keys. The kit claims 4x4 will clear 35's, but in reality a 33-34 is the better way to go, IMO.
eBay kits run 100-150, Truxxx, ReadyLift run slightly higher. I have more into the install(180 per axel) than the kit itself, but I never had to get dirty or bust up my knuckles.

Hey Dib52, you were the one who influenced me to get the hypertech, love it, thanks for the advise. Can't wait until tomorrow to put the lift on, I will take before and after pics like you did.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Dib52, you were the one who influenced me to get the hypertech, love it, thanks for the advise. Can't wait until tomorrow to put the lift on, I will take before and after pics like you did.

Glad you like the programmer, makes a heck of a difference, doesn't it?
Have fun with the install, it will be good to see another 3rd gen running around on here, ain't many of us. Then all you'll have to do is the larger rubber, I'm still waiting on mine, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I replaced with stock size rubber right before the lift install, not having the right size under the wells is killing me...

wellsit

Reaction score
New to Expeditions and this site. Will the Truxxx kit work if my 2008 Expedition 4x4 has the factory self leveling air suspension?

Leissleib

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you like the programmer, makes a heck of a difference, doesn't it?
Have fun with the install, it will be good to see another 3rd gen running around on here, ain't many of us. Then all you'll have to do is the larger rubber, I'm still waiting on mine, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I replaced with stock size rubber right before the lift install, not having the right size under the wells is killing me...

Well, that will be a while, I bought the truck as a demo and it had brand new BFG's on it, they still had the little nipples on them so I am going to wear them out first which in my experience with BFG's will be about 50,000 miles, or 3 years of driving for me. I just can't see spending all that money on tires when I have a great set, also what I have are 32.5" tall, the set I will get are 34" tall if you think about it that is only 3/4" height difference.(actual roof height)

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, that will be a while, I bought the truck as a demo and it had brand new BFG's on it, they still had the little nipples on them so I am going to wear them out first which in my experience with BFG's will be about 50,000 miles, or 3 years of driving for me. I just can't see spending all that money on tires when I have a great set, also what I have are 32.5" tall, the set I will get are 34" tall if you think about it that is only 3/4" height difference.(actual roof height)

Know the feeling! Every time I bring up the tire purchase, the Mrs reminds me that I have a perfectly good set on it. They are starting to show some wear, but not necessary to drop a large stack on new ones at the moment. Funny how the Mrs can always bring me back to reality!!