Can we talk HD Tow one more time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020 Limited 4x4 Max with HD Tow. Package 302A (pano sunroof, etc) 22" wheels 2nd row capt seats GVWR7720 FAWR3550 RAWR4380 Payload 1710
This has got to be the highest payload on a Limited yet right?

Also, for everyone else: I can pretty much forget getting a Platty Max 4x4 w/1600+ lbs of payload correct?

Also, anyone think they’ll up the tow/payload for the 2022s? If I recall, they did so on the 2018 F-150 mid-cycle refresh.

X BRONCO OWNER

Reaction score
I believe the FX4s and the big tow package have a higher payload because of the size of the rear differential. I thought I read somewhere that standard trucks have an 8:8 rear diff and trucks with 3:73 gears haver a larger diff I don't remember what size. That would give the FX4 bigger gears and bearings to handle more weight. I could be wrong.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the FX4s and the big tow package have a higher payload because of the size of the rear differential. I thought I read somewhere that standard trucks have an 8:8 rear diff and trucks with 3:73 gears haver a larger diff I don't remember what size. That would give the FX4 bigger gears and bearings to handle more weight. I could be wrong.

Payload has ZERO do with the rear end. Towing can be affected by it. Payload is a factor of suspension, and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In
Payload has ZERO do with the rear end. Towing can be affected by it. Payload is a factor of suspension, and frame.

In terms of the Expedition its the weight of the options subtracting from the all up load weight. The more optioned out ie stuff on the truck the lower the published load weight. A basic XL 2wheel dr will have a greater published payload than a Platinum with heavy stuff added like fancy seats, sun roof etc.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In

In terms of the Expedition its the weight of the options subtracting from the all up load weight. The more optioned out ie stuff on the truck the lower the published load weight. A basic XL 2wheel dr will have a greater published payload than a Platinum with heavy stuff added like fancy seats, sun roof etc.

Agreed! But the bones is where it starts. You make an excellent point though. The larger, beefier rear that the Heavy Tow gets, could actually decrease payload because it likely weighs more and is part of the sprung weight since we have an independent rear!

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear axle rating goes up with HD Tow package; front axle rating goes up with Max/4WD. So total GVWR is highest with HD Tow and Max, probably 2WD... however the trim level is really where you can add payload, options in the bones are largely a wash or benefit payload.

X BRONCO OWNER

Reaction score
So i see most of the trucks have a rear GAWR of 4380. I have a FX4 non hd tow that has a rear GAWR of 4200. What is different that causes it to loose 180lbs?