Can't figure this one out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fooey

Reaction score
2003 2wd Expedition:

when at a stop, and you start moving with the steering wheel turned either way, you get this kind of knobby tire rub feeling.
Kind of feels like it is coming from the rear, and only happens on acceleration with wheel turned, not slowing down straight, or slowing down turning. Stock tires, no knobbies, checked for signs of tire rub, nada...

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

jimboh247

Reaction score
Could be rear differential. Does it have a limited slip differential? I had the same problem with my 99 EB 4x4. I changed the fluid and added the proper friction modifier and it went away.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03s that had the LS unit in the rear (they were standard for 4x4s) have had plenty of problems with them. I would;

1. Check you axle code on your door jamb sticker. If it starts with a letter, then you have a LS unit and the truck needs to go in to get it replaced.

2. If it doesn't have LS, then it still needs to go in to have the side gears checks. :)

OP
OP
F

fooey

Reaction score
someone else had suggested changing the pumpkin fluid and adding some friction modifier to the new fluid, just did it a couple hours ago....will see how it goes....

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear Diff limited slip clutch pack. Had the samething. I thought it was something with the front brakes. I changed the brakes and then took it to the dealer and complained. They TRIED to tell me it was a bad brake install and that my rotors were worn. Mind you I never even had the rotors cut when I did the front brakes. I was hopping mad. Spoke to the service manager and complained. He diagnosed it the next day. Replaced the clutch pack and all is good.