Can't find Motorcraft MERCON ATF for power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
Ford part number XT-2-QDX, Mercon (not Mercon V) is specified on page 334 of my 2004 Expedition Owner's Guide for the Power Steering fluid. MERCON V is specified for the transmision.
On page 335 in bold print: "MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON AND MERCON V."

So what is a proper product to purchase for power steering fluid?

What about this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pennzoil-32-oz-ATF-Lubricant-Oil-550050745/308845545
"for all passenger cars and light trucks requiring the use of a Type A or Type A suffix, Dexron, Dexron II or III, Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid. Surpasses General Motors specification 6297-M and Ford specification M2C185A"
In the Q&A: "Pennzoil ATF is the old PZL Dex/Merc. There has been no change. Sincerely, Don S.", Answer by a Penzoil Product Expert.

Last edited:

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DEARBORN, MI – Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) has announced MERCON V as the replacement for MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). ... Automatic transmissions, power steering systems and manual transmissions previously requiring MERCON must, as of July 1, be serviced with MERCON V.

smith627

Reaction score
I have been using Mercon V in my 2004 XLT. I do a drain and fill, not a flush.
I bought it used in 2005 and have had zero problems with my power steering.

Last edited:

Randy-IA

Reaction score
Ford part number XT-2-QDX, Mercon (not Mercon V) is specified on page 334 of my 2004 Expedition Owner's Guide for the Power Steering fluid. MERCON V is specified for the transmision.
On page 335 in bold print: "MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON AND MERCON V."

So what is a proper product to purchase for power steering fluid?

What about this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pennzoil-32-oz-ATF-Lubricant-Oil-550050745/308845545
"for all passenger cars and light trucks requiring the use of a Type A or Type A suffix, Dexron, Dexron II or III, Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid. Surpasses General Motors specification 6297-M and Ford specification M2C185A"
In the Q&A: "Pennzoil ATF is the old PZL Dex/Merc. There has been no change. Sincerely, Don S.", Answer by a Penzoil Product Expert.

Taking into consideration that they didn't know about the newer fluids when the manual was written it's safe to assume that most newer fluids are backwards compatible with very few exceptions. Just read the label on whatever brand of oil you prefer. No offense, but fluids aren't rocket science except for the engineers creating the confusion. It's still not a great idea to mix different oils. Drain the old, add enough new to see it run out the drain, consider it good and refill. Been doing it that way for 50 years, can't recall a fluid related breakdown.