captain second row to bench seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maguilar496

Reaction score
hello, I am going to be buying a 2015 limited el soon and the only thing I don't like about it is it comes with the separated captain chairs for the second row. How hard would it be to swap those out for a bench seat? is it as easy as adding the middle section? Any body on here with a bench seat that would want to swap?

Thanks.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
hello, I am going to be buying a 2015 limited el soon and the only thing I don't like about it is it comes with the separated captain chairs for the second row. How hard would it be to swap those out for a bench seat? is it as easy as adding the middle section? Any body on here with a bench seat that would want to swap?

Thanks.
Just curious as to why you wouldn’t want that easy access to the back row?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

Thanks.
Lookin at pictures online, the second row bench seats have two legs on the middle seat that will need to be bolted to the floor. you would have to cut into the carpet and either hope there are pre drilled holes for a bench seat or drill them yourself

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll pull back the carpet tomorrow on our 2017 to make sure but to my knowledge, the shells are identical and everything is there in the floor. You’d just need to find a center seat out of one with matching interior color and age, cut out holes in the carpet, remove the armrests from the two captains seats and then bolt in the middle one. I did the opposite with my 2014. It came with 3 seats across the 2nd row and we wanted buckets but couldn’t find one in the color we wanted or with the right options. Pulled the center seat out and didn’t even bother covering up the holes in the carpet. Just hit the white painted body with some flat black so it wasn’t noticeable and then got the weather tech floor liners for the captain seat configuration. If I could have found someone that wanted the bench, I’d have swapped them straight trade and even moved everything over between the two for a thank you.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other issue you are going to have is the captain's chairs have armrests in the inboard sides which will be in the way of the center seat. When you have the center bench you don't have armrests on the two outboard seats. So you are going to need to find the full bench seat. You may be able to remove the armrests but then you are going to have holes in the sides of the seats.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lookin at pictures online, the second row bench seats have two legs on the middle seat that will need to be bolted to the floor. you would have to cut into the carpet and either hope there are pre drilled holes for a bench seat or drill them yourself

3rd gens, at least earlier years, all came universally pre-drilled for all possible seating layouts

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chances are, all the pre-tabs and inserts are in place as the seat decision isn't one that would require a retool. I'm impressed though...I've thought of it but haven't seen anyone do it yet. How DO you gain access to #3 row, does it tilt forward?

jeff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chances are, all the pre-tabs and inserts are in place as the seat decision isn't one that would require a retool. I'm impressed though...I've thought of it but haven't seen anyone do it yet. How DO you gain access to #3 row, does it tilt forward?

jeff

Bench and captain chair side seats are identical, except for armrests. They can tumble, fold down, and fold flat.

Middle just folds flat and slides afair

mwells

Reaction score
I’ll pull back the carpet tomorrow on our 2017 to make sure but to my knowledge, the shells are identical and everything is there in the floor. You’d just need to find a center seat out of one with matching interior color and age, cut out holes in the carpet, remove the armrests from the two captains seats and then bolt in the middle one. I did the opposite with my 2014. It came with 3 seats across the 2nd row and we wanted buckets but couldn’t find one in the color we wanted or with the right options. Pulled the center seat out and didn’t even bother covering up the holes in the carpet. Just hit the white painted body with some flat black so it wasn’t noticeable and then got the weather tech floor liners for the captain seat configuration. If I could have found someone that wanted the bench, I’d have swapped them straight trade and even moved everything over between the two for a thank you.

Hey, do you still have the center section and what color is it. I have a 2014 with captains seats because I could not find the one I wanted with a bench. I might be interested in the center section. Thx.

supermitch

Reaction score
I have a black middle seat if you want to buy it for really cheap. I installed captains chairs and built a raised floor, so didn't bother with the middle. Everything above is correct, btw: holes in floor are pre-drilled and threaded, and arms of captains seats are easily removable, but yes, would leave a little hole in the leather. Easily patched I'm sure.