Car acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe_garcia

Reaction score
thank you in advance to anyone that helps . So I got a 2008 expedition xlt . That I bought with 116k miles . So far I’ve only put no more then 2k on it . My problem is while I was driving it all of the sudden it lost power . And going up a steep street it would barley move had to gas it real hard . The car does have a hissing sound when I start it up but that came wit it when I bought it . I kept driving it to go home and it wouldn’t pass 10mph on about 2k rmps . I turned the car off and back on and it’s like nothing happen . I hit about 60mph on the highway . I put it in reverse and I had no problem. I parked it for about 3 hrs and when I accelerate it feels like it lost power . And the shifting kinda feels hard . It still hit 40mph . But you can tell it has lost power . I have no check engine light on . And I’m thinking about changing the spark plugs Bc I don’t know if they were ever changed . I was thinking it was my transmission hopefully it isn’t .

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
thank you in advance to anyone that helps . So I got a 2008 expedition xlt . That I bought with 116k miles . So far I’ve only put no more then 2k on it . My problem is while I was driving it all of the sudden it lost power . And going up a steep street it would barley move had to gas it real hard . The car does have a hissing sound when I start it up but that came wit it when I bought it . I kept driving it to go home and it wouldn’t pass 10mph on about 2k rmps . I turned the car off and back on and it’s like nothing happen . I hit about 60mph on the highway . I put it in reverse and I had no problem. I parked it for about 3 hrs and when I accelerate it feels like it lost power . And the shifting kinda feels hard . It still hit 40mph . But you can tell it has lost power . I have no check engine light on . And I’m thinking about changing the spark plugs Bc I don’t know if they were ever changed . I was thinking it was my transmission hopefully it isn’t .
Change your plugs, clean your MAF, and clean your throttle body. Losing power could also mean your throttle body is going out

OP
OP
J

joe_garcia

Reaction score
Change your plugs, clean your MAF, and clean your throttle body. Losing power could also mean your throttle body is going out .
Change your plugs, clean your MAF, and clean your throttle body. Losing power could also mean your throttle body is going out
Thank you I will try and do that . Also do you think if I buy a code scanner it will throw a code ? Given the fact I have no check engine light on

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The hissing sound probably indicates a major vacuum leak (since you can hear it). This will cause the engine to run lean, and cause all sorts of problems.

Check ALL your vacuum lines carefully, especially where they connect to junctions or fittings. Note that the fittings and junctions, if plastic, may be brittle and break easily.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like clogged catalytic converters. Best way to check is to remove a pre cat 02 sensor and install an exhaust back pressure gauge then rev it up and see what the back pressure is. If you can get one with a long enough cable you can run it out of the hood area and watch it while driving or just pull over and take a look at the pressure when it wont accelerate like it should. Check Amazon and some local auto parts stores loan and rent them.

Last edited:

Hd Steve

Reaction score
I'll 2nd a huge vacuum leak. I also have a 08 expedition. Check behind the intake manifold driver side. There's a larger vacuum line that likes to come off

OP
OP
J

joe_garcia

Reaction score
Sounds like clogged catalytic converters. Best way to check is to remove a pre cat 02 sensor and install an exhaust back pressure gauge then rev it up and see what the back pressure is. If you can get one with a long enough cable you can run it out of the hood area and watch it while driving or just pull over and take a look at the pressure when it wont accelerate like it should. Check Amazon and some local auto parts stores loan and rent them.
My catalytic conv is brand new , just replaced it a couple months ago
I'll 2nd a huge vacuum leak. I also have a 08 expedition. Check behind the intake manifold driver side. There's a larger vacuum line that likes to come off
I will check that for sure once it stops raining . Hopefully it’s nothing major . Thanks for all the comments guys . I appreciate all the help.