Car Fax - Does it really give you much info about the vehicle ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on if the garage does Carfax or not. No requirement anywhere to enter info to Carfax.
Carfax is a helpful tool but certainly should never be an end all for making a purchase

Though it can Certainly can rule things out rather quickly.
A few months back when looking for the wife’s new vehicle.
Local dealer had a 2015 Yukon XL Denali at a decent price. I asked for the Carfax they kept stalling.
I got it else where. Vehicle had damage to the front, driver, and passenger side in one collision, fixed, driven 9 miles, put up for auction. Dealer had it for 6 months since buying at auction.
Not a chance in the world I’d buy it.

IIGood

Reaction score
For my Expedition, it mainly showed some service visits to a couple dealerships, I think one or 2 services visits at one of quick-lube places, and just general DMV type stuff. I didn't see any "mom & pop" repair shops on there or anything.

But like @Black states, I wouldn't use it as an end-all. My other car - a 2003 Mustang GT that I have owned since new - shows up with a pretty clean Carfax. No accidents are showing on it...but I've wrecked the thing SIX TIMES since I've owned it. Never any significant frame damage but there have been a couple doozies.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my Expedition, it mainly showed some service visits to a couple dealerships, I think one or 2 services visits at one of quick-lube places, and just general DMV type stuff. I didn't see any "mom & pop" repair shops on there or anything.

But like @Black states, I wouldn't use it as an end-all. My other car - a 2003 Mustang GT that I have owned since new - shows up with a pretty clean Carfax. No accidents are showing on it...but I've wrecked the thing SIX TIMES since I've owned it. Never any significant frame damage but there have been a couple doozies.
Good driver are you? :facepalm:

IIGood

Reaction score
Good driver are you? :facepalm:

LOL. I blame it on that car...never had gotten into any accidents before owning that vehicle, and never any accidents (except for a couple deer) with any vehicle I've owned after that one. It's the car's fault, not mine. ;)

Last edited:

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and just purchased an '15 Expedition. While in the process of searching I test drove a '14 Lariat EL with 76k on it. It had a clean Carfax. As soon as I saw it I noticed the passenger back door had been repainted. The car overheated on me as I returning to the dealer (Mom and Pop). Carfax only shows you accidents if they are reported.

They can be a useful tool depending on the vehicle.

I am currently selling my '16 Tundra at a local dealer I deal with. I always had all my Services done at the local Toyota dealer from 9,000 miles to 92,000 miles. Below is a link to the report. Due to me taking it to a dealer more services are recorded on the Carfax than if you just took it to a Quick Lube place. This is actually one of the longest Carfax's I've seen.

Hope this helps.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=dlr_3&vin=5tfdy5f16gx510345

John Kohler

Reaction score
I've found it more useful as a way to keep my own maintenance records. I input my oil changes and such. I take a photo of the receipt and add it to the record.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carfax works off of police reports, insurance databases, DMVs, and shops that report back to them for a little money. So they will get most major things that happened to a car, and some minor. If you get into an accident and don't call the cops, don't report to insurance, and don't take it to a body shop that reports to them; it's like it never happened to carfax.

I think the $20-30 is good money when you're getting ready to dump 10s of thousands of dollars into a new-to-you car. It will usually give you the big stuff and major red flags, but you still need to do your own due diligence in inspecting and checking out the vehicle. It also good for private sales, because they will guarantee the title as long as it comes back clean on your purchased carfax report.

Twizz

Reaction score
Autocheck has access to more data as they are an older company.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The information on Carfax and Autocheck is great to have when there are things listed. But nothing should be inferred from a lack of anything listed. As stated, a lot doesn't get on there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire