CarPlay connectivity issue, replace the USB ports?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJAucutt

Reaction score
My '18 Max Limited (56k) began life as a rental. The charging pad works fine, but neither of the front USB ports work. Blowing them with compressed air and cleaning with rubbing alcohol did nothing. i suppose somebody could have spilled something and fried them. I think the USB module is about $80 and fairly easy to change out. However, after reading about cable issues, it seems wireless connectivity to get Apple Car Play working makes a lot of sense. Did Ford offer wireless back in '18? Is there a module I can plug in (once the USBs are working) to allow instant wireless connection?

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I held out last year to get the 2022 model specifically for the wireless connectivity. I think there is an aftermarket unit for AA to enable wireless but don't know for Apple.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '18 Max Limited (56k) began life as a rental. The charging pad works fine, but neither of the front USB ports work. Blowing them with compressed air and cleaning with rubbing alcohol did nothing. i suppose somebody could have spilled something and fried them. I think the USB module is about $80 and fairly easy to change out. However, after reading about cable issues, it seems wireless connectivity to get Apple Car Play working makes a lot of sense. Did Ford offer wireless back in '18? Is there a module I can plug in (once the USBs are working) to allow instant wireless connection?
No matter what you will need to replace the front hub. I have used about 6 of the different Wireless CarPlay adapters that work with Sync, and they all have their issues. NONE of them are "Instant" as you requested. If you want the best CarPlay experience on Sync 3, stick to hard wired.

DJAucutt

Reaction score
Good advice. Thanks. I installed a new USB hub today. The lady at the Ford parts counter did not ask for a VIN. She just needed to know that it was for an '18 Expedition. That tells me that this module is universal for all '18s. The part number is HC3Z-19A387-H. Cost = $60; easy install. I have seen MANY similar hubs on the web, all about the same price. But NONE of those carry the suffix "H". The hard wire fits very tight and is difficult to insert and remove. I think they corrected the jiggle problem ;-).

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good advice. Thanks. I installed a new USB hub today. The lady at the Ford parts counter did not ask for a VIN. She just needed to know that it was for an '18 Expedition. That tells me that this module is universal for all '18s. The part number is HC3Z-19A387-H. Cost = $60; easy install. I have seen MANY similar hubs on the web, all about the same price. But NONE of those carry the suffix "H". The hard wire fits very tight and is difficult to insert and remove. I think they corrected the jiggle problem ;-).
The jiggle comes from rough use. Yes, all the hubs for 18/19 should be the same.

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
24000 miles on my 2020 and the intermittent working of CarPlay drives me nuts. Not working for one drive and then turn it off. Back on a few minutes later and it fires up with the same phone and cable. I’ve tried different cables and phones. Right now, my phone is charging from the port with a genuine apple cable but no CarPlay. Do you think the dealer would warranty the usb replacement? I mean, not a deal breaker, just a PITA to have to deal with that myself with so few miles on it. Thanks in advance!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
24000 miles on my 2020 and the intermittent working of CarPlay drives me nuts. Not working for one drive and then turn it off. Back on a few minutes later and it fires up with the same phone and cable. I’ve tried different cables and phones. Right now, my phone is charging from the port with a genuine apple cable but no CarPlay. Do you think the dealer would warranty the usb replacement? I mean, not a deal breaker, just a PITA to have to deal with that myself with so few miles on it. Thanks in advance!
Depends on Mileage and your dealer. If you are over your warranty, I would just by one and swap it. The dealer can order it, and it is only fractionally more expensive than you can find on E-Bay, and you will get the newest revision.

Edit: Oops - you said 24K. Heck yeah I would push it with the Dealer.

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
Depends on Mileage and your dealer. If you are over your warranty, I would just by one and swap it. The dealer can order it, and it is only fractionally more expensive than you can find on E-Bay, and you will get the newest revision.

Edit: Oops - you said 24K. Heck yeah I would push it with the Dealer.
So finally had it into the dealer a few weeks ago and they claimed there’s an update to sync coming out that will fix it. They said apple changed something so my brand new iPhone doesn’t connect. But the issue is with all iPhones… I regularly have 3-4 different models connecting to it. So I think their excuse is bogus but has anyone heard something similar?

jhkaplan

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any updates to this? I have a '22 Exp Platinum with the big 15" screen. CarPlay connectivity is by far the most frustrating part of this car. Over half the time, it wont connect (both wired and wireless) and I'm forced to remove the Expedition from CarPlay settings on the phone (Settings>CarPlay), and re-add it. I'm at my wits end with this, it struggles to connect both wired and wireless; sometimes it connects but randomly freezes or crashes.

Has anyone seen similar behavior and have any ideas on how to fix (other than waiting for Ford to fix the Sync mess)?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any updates to this? I have a '22 Exp Platinum with the big 15" screen. CarPlay connectivity is by far the most frustrating part of this car. Over half the time, it wont connect (both wired and wireless) and I'm forced to remove the Expedition from CarPlay settings on the phone (Settings>CarPlay), and re-add it. I'm at my wits end with this, it struggles to connect both wired and wireless; sometimes it connects but randomly freezes or crashes.

Has anyone seen similar behavior and have any ideas on how to fix (other than waiting for Ford to fix the Sync mess)?
If you are having issues both Wired and Wireless, it is most likely the phone, as the connection format is completely different for each. Do you have another phone at your disposal that you can test with, like a family member or friend and see if it disconnects.

What model iPhone do you have? What iOS version is it running?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire