CarPlay connectivity issue, replace the USB ports?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhkaplan

Reaction score
If you are having issues both Wired and Wireless, it is most likely the phone, as the connection format is completely different for each. Do you have another phone at your disposal that you can test with, like a family member or friend and see if it disconnects.

What model iPhone do you have? What iOS version is it running?
I'll try with my wife's phone, but she's never in the car enough to test fully as it only happens some of the time.

I have an iphone 13 pro with the latest software update (this has happened across a few updates). Also, there is zero issue with my phone in my wife's car for wired carplay (2022 Hyundai Santa Fe, wired carplay only), so it seems like this is mostly a Ford sync issue.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll try with my wife's phone, but she's never in the car enough to test fully as it only happens some of the time.

I have an iphone 13 pro with the latest software update (this has happened across a few updates). Also, there is zero issue with my phone in my wife's car for wired carplay (2022 Hyundai Santa Fe, wired carplay only), so it seems like this is mostly a Ford sync issue.
OK. Remove both your Bluetooth connection to the Expedition, and the Carplay connection on your phone. Remove your Phone from the Expedition screen under phone list. Reboot your Phone, and reboot Sync 2 times in a row. If you have the 4A(15Inch) screen, holding the seek right and volume down buttons on the steering wheel controls will reboot it. If you have the smaller screen, the Radio power button and the Right seek button will do it.

Then do wired Carplay, and go through the setup/connect process and see if it behaves better.

If it doesn't, borrow her phone and go for a drive. If you can't prove it does it with more than one phone, you will have a hard time convincing ford to swap out anything. If it has the same symptoms on another phone, and also both Wired and Wireless, the issue is most likely in the APIM and Ford refreshing the software on it might help.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not Carplay, but AndroidAuto, we did ~800 miles last weekend & had it just randomly exit AA while driving along.
Was having AA issues where the truck wouldn't even recognize my phone, changed cable & it works great, but over a few hours it would drop out 2-3 times. Unplug & replug usually resolved it.

jhkaplan

Reaction score
OK. Remove both your Bluetooth connection to the Expedition, and the Carplay connection on your phone. Remove your Phone from the Expedition screen under phone list. Reboot your Phone, and reboot Sync 2 times in a row. If you have the 4A(15Inch) screen, holding the seek right and volume down buttons on the steering wheel controls will reboot it. If you have the smaller screen, the Radio power button and the Right seek button will do it.

Then do wired Carplay, and go through the setup/connect process and see if it behaves better.

If it doesn't, borrow her phone and go for a drive. If you can't prove it does it with more than one phone, you will have a hard time convincing ford to swap out anything. If it has the same symptoms on another phone, and also both Wired and Wireless, the issue is most likely in the APIM and Ford refreshing the software on it might help.
Thanks I'll give this a try this afternoon and report back.

Reaction score
I have significant issues as well in my 2020 limited. If I plug in my phone before starting the engine, car play will work 85% of the time. If I plug in after, that drops to about 10%.

Extremely frustrating. Have bought brand new Apple cables solely for the car. I just live with it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have significant issues as well in my 2020 limited. If I plug in my phone before starting the engine, car play will work 85% of the time. If I plug in after, that drops to about 10%.

Extremely frustrating. Have bought brand new Apple cables solely for the car. I just live with it.
Still under warranty? Does it do it with other iPhones or just yours? What model and OS is your Phone? What version of Sync?

mparks

Reaction score
Good advice. Thanks. I installed a new USB hub today. The lady at the Ford parts counter did not ask for a VIN. She just needed to know that it was for an '18 Expedition. That tells me that this module is universal for all '18s. The part number is HC3Z-19A387-H. Cost = $60; easy install. I have seen MANY similar hubs on the web, all about the same price. But NONE of those carry the suffix "H". The hard wire fits very tight and is difficult to insert and remove. I think they corrected the jiggle problem ;-).
Hi wondering how you installed. Did you find a video?? I need to install a new one in my 2019. Had some coffee spill in it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani