Cat back upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkmonday

Reaction score
I have 2014 limited 5.4. 150k While doing an oil change today I noticed I'm getting close to muffler time. I'd like a little more muscle car sound...I had a 2000 expy with a gibson cat back that sounded great awhile back so im considering that but noticing the price on those are insane (like everything else these days). Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with anything else? Nothing too loud and not much highway drone? I don't care about stainless as long as it lasts close to a stock exhaust

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Gibson stainless cat-back on my 2010 and it's decent. No noticeable power improvement, sounds a bit throatier than stock, and no droning in the cabin. It's a decent option.

When I swapped out the stock stuff I wanted stainless and I wanted no noticeable change in cabin noise levels. Learned the hard way on a 1995 F150 when I swapped in a full Bassani exhaust system (headers, high-flow cats, cat-back). Above 65 the resonance specifically in the driver's seat was unbearable. My GF at the time didn't understand why I complained about the noise so much until I had her drive on the highway. It was crazy how isolated the sound pressure was in that truck.

Anyway, on that truck/system I swapped out the Bassani muffler for a Gibson that perfectly fit and it was night-and-day. Been a fan ever since.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 2010 with one already installed. I can't remember if it's magnaflow or flowmaster. It sounds great around town, but I hate it on the highway. 1800 - 2100 rpm has an unrelenting drone and bugs me... I have 200000 on the truck, so probably not worth changing it out, just turn up the radio loud when no one else is in there. I wouldn't do it again, but that's just me.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Gibson Stainless cat back on mine and it's perfect for what I wanted - it now sounds like a truck. Not too loud and it has a very nice deep throaty sound.

Speed 330

Reaction score
I have 2014 limited 5.4. 150k While doing an oil change today I noticed I'm getting close to muffler time. I'd like a little more muscle car sound...I had a 2000 expy with a gibson cat back that sounded great awhile back so im considering that but noticing the price on those are insane (like everything else these days). Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with anything else? Nothing too loud and not much highway drone? I don't care about stainless as long as it lasts close to a stock exhaust
I put a Flowmaster Delta Series 3 chamber right in place of the old Muffler sounds good no drone in cabin I think it was a good choice 06