Catalytic Converter replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took the Expy into the muffler shop yesterday. The drivers cat was internally comming apart and the passengar was 40% blocked, they told me I had a " pending code " for the passengar side cat and eventually would have come up as a " Check Engine ". Shop installed two cats instead of the original four, was able to get them for $440 installed. Right away I was able to notice better performance and there was no longer the " buzzzzzing " at stoplights. Twice on the way home however, the engine wanted to die at stoplights, but would instantly come back to a smooth idle. I know that the muffler shop cleared the " Pending " code so I'm assuming the computer was re-adjusting to compensate for having bad cats prior to these???? I had no more issues after the 20 mile drive home and idle was super smooth at stops. I am hoping all is well and it was just the computer making adjustments. Thoughts??????

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It usually takes anywhere from 20-50 miles for your vehicle to relearn all the parameters of your engine/ transmission. You might want to have a shop or friend that has a smoker, smoke test your engines intake and Exaust, to be sure you have no intake leaks. Sometimes a small intake leak, that causes stumbles, or rough idle, show up during a smoke test. If your stalling problem comes back, a Dtc code check along with this test, should help. By the way, great price on 2 cats installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have had no prior codes for lean conditions one would associate with an intake leak. The only thing that has changed was the swapping out of the converters, so I am hoping your right about the computer " relearning all the parameters ". I'll be driving the Expy this afternoon and report if I have an issue. Thanks again

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing, stands for digital trouble code, I believe. It's just the codes that the computer stores,so you can retrieve them at a later date, with your onboard diagnostic 2 reader.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked the shop if they saw any other codes besides the " pending code " for the passenger side cat, he said there were none other than that one.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, do you know the brand of cat they installed? Might need some myself.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, So I spoke too soon. Started her up and before I pulled out of the driveway the Service Engine Soon light came on. After I got home from what I was doing, I put my code reader on and the code was P1131. This apparently indicates an 02 sensor somewhere on bank 1, just the thing I was worried about when starting this thread. Dang it, now what!! Is it the first or second sensor on the drivers or passengers side?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well bank 1 is passenger side. You or your mechanic will need to check wiring up to the 02 sensors first, and run all trim tests. if all checks ok then it's your sensor that's most likely at fault. Catalytic converters that fail, will take out 02 sensors, due to rich running conditions. One of the other guys can help with diagnostic procedures if your going to do it yourself, sorry I'm running just with an I phone.