Catalytic Converter replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ebay has oem style, left or right (2)converter pipe, for $200 and up. Ebay also has something for "off road" Mustangs. called a MIL(malfunction indicator lamp) Eliminator. You plug it into rear O2 sensor. The rear sensor only checks emissions. It tricks the computer, through voltage and stops check lights. You can technically hollow out your converters. They work!

RongWay

Reaction score
Unfortunately, California has a specific Cat requirement. Everything that cheap on ebay is not legal in California, and will cause the vehicle to fail the visual portion of the emissions check (they check any aftermarket cats to make sure they match the vehicle/engine). I could have bought something used, but had no way to verify the mileage on the cat. I ultimately bought the Magniflow cats for $1,045 which was the best price I could find, and considerably cheaper than OEM (and higher rated).

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The "California Legal" converters are sold on Ebay. They are more expensive, but still cheaper than $1000(including Magnaflow). The Trump administration, is trying to stop California from, imposing emission requirements, on the entire country. Technically, manufactures, can't sell cars in Cali, that don't meet requirements. Car makers are forced to produce all cars with California Emissions. All new gas cans are also affected by this stupid law. EPA require those annoying spouts, that trickle when pouring. The vent is eliminated, to prevent vapor escaping. Most people take the spout off, to pour and end up spilling gas. Brilliant!

RongWay

Reaction score
I just checked ebay again, and they are all the exact same price that I paid. If you are looking at the "Universal Fit" cans, those are illegal on any newer vehicles, including my Expedition. For the California legal magnaflow replacement, everybody is charging $1,034.31, which was what I paid.