CD Changer "No Mag" Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MC Murray

Reaction score
Suddenly developed a problem with my 02 XLT not reading the inserted magazine in the arm rest console "6" CD Changer. The player gives me a "no mag" reading after it searchs for a CD.

Searched and found this forum hoping to secure a fix.

Have learned that most believe this is a Changer gone bad, and I do not find a cure other than complete replacement. Given I am one of those who wants to keep my vehicle "OEM" equiped, I researched and found a group that will sell you a refurbished unit, or you can send your malfunctioned player to them and they will tell you what is wrong with it and how much to fix.

United Radio Automotive Electronics
1-800-448-0944
www.Unitedradio.com

They quoted me $200 for a refurbished unit.

MC Murray
2002 XLT Expedition

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
200 for what?

You can buy a new CD magazine for 100 at tascaparts.com. They list a CD changer, but when you click on it, it doesn't bring up anything.

Puchichi

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by going bad. Have you used a laserlens cleaner on your changer. It looks like a CD with soft bristle brushes around the disc. Maybe that is why you get the can't read CD message.

ExpiGator

Reaction score
macmurray

had similar issue with a couple of explorer cd changers.
remove the fuse [specific for your radio] leave it out a few seconds and reinsert. hopefully it resets itself.

just a thought, it won't hurt anything and it doesn't cost much

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MC Murray

Reaction score
First I would like to thank all for their responses.

The removal and re-insertation of the fuse did not fix my problem. That sure would have been the easiset way to handle this problem. :)

The oem auto sound link is a nice extra resource to know of. It is always helpful when you have more than one resource to refer to.;)

I had thought of replacing the mag, however, I was unable to research where anyone who had resolved their problem by performing this exchange. Searching the forums did not uncover a responsive resolution that reflected this approach would remedy the problem.:confused:

The laser cleaning unit is a good idea. I will look for one. Having multiple players, this tool will come in handy for servicing all of them.

I guess for $200 you get a complete refurbished unit with a new mag, ready for installtion. Given I am an "old gizzer" who likes to keep his gear "OEM" compatible, my choices are more limited than looking to the aftermarket equipment.:eek:

riccoh

Reaction score
mc i have a complete cd changer I pulled out of a 97, sitll working and has the cd mag. 50 shipping and is yours