Change the spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I brought my 2001 XLT (4.6L 4x2) for 50T km (30T miles) service and according to the local practice, they recommend to change the spark plugs at that mileage. I was a bit surprised as I never heard these needed to be changed before twice that mileage. Checking in the service book, it says it's recommended at 100T miles. As it's a quite long job (4 hours), I asked them not to do it.

Would anyone know if it's worthy to check spark plugs as early as 30T miles?

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if local factors (e.g., fuel quality, ambient temperatures) impact spark plug life, but my 1999 4.6 has 71,000 miles on the original plugs. I'm considering changing them in the near future.

BTW, did they give you a price for the service? Very labor inten$ive. The #4 spark plug is virtually buried under the cowl on the passenger side. More than a few service departments "forget" to replace it.

OP
OP
G

I recently bought an Expo with 118K on it and one of the plugs went bad one me. I was quoted close to $300 to change it so I decided even though everyone says it is so difficult to try it myself. All of my old plugs looked like crap as they were the originals. I don't see how it could need it at 30,000 miles. It sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one. Do yourself a favor and pull the first one on the passenger side, it is easy to get too. If it looks like it needs to be replaced then think about it.

whitehat

Reaction score
I bought our 1997 EB and it had 45000 on it. It now has 110000 and I'm going to change the plugs this weekend. All the records mine had never indicated the plugs were changed and it was serviced every 5000 miles. I would say unless you have problems let them go to 100000.

OP
OP
G

Same here about the plugs. I believe the original Motorcraft plugs are a solid brand, and should last to 100k under normal conditions.

Around 98k we started having misfire problems. We had a mechanic recommend changing the wires as well as he suspected a defective wire... I wound up doing the job but now wonder if I really just needed to do the plugs as they were just trying to get the extra $. I've read a recommendation for changing the wires at 100k anyway so I figured what the hell.

Anyhow it was a VERY difficult job for a novice, though it's done and it's running great after a week's worth of driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett