Changed oil on my '08, what a mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I am so pissed, I just changed my oil on my '08 5.4 and under the oil filter is a plastic tray to force the oil from the filter over the frame when you unscrew the. filter. BS!

I knew it was going to run down the back I so reached way in the back and pushed up on the plastic.

All that did was let the oil run down my freeking arm and all over the pavement. What the hell?

Would it do any good to replace that piece?

Plati

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm old and just let the youngsters at Valvoline do that.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 08. Oil runs down the front and back of the plastic tray. I just use a big pan that catches both drips.

Better than the 2010 Explorer with the V-8... That has a deflector a few inches from the drain plug. The stream of oil hitting that plastic deflector spreads out like a lawn sprinkler.

Absurd.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took me back a few years. When I had my '99 that tray did a great job directing all the oil that landed on it to the front so I could catch it in the oil collection pan. Fast forward a few years to when I got the 2003. Was expecting the same results. Wrong... oil went mostly off the back and some on the front. So now I try to put the collection pan to where it covers both front and the back. Life used to be so much simpler :).

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I am so pissed, I just changed my oil on my '08 5.4 and under the oil filter is a plastic tray to force the oil from the filter over the frame when you unscrew the. filter. BS!

I knew it was going to run down the back I so reached way in the back and pushed up on the plastic.

All that did was let the oil run down my freeking arm and all over the pavement. What the hell?

Would it do any good to replace that piece?

Are you sure it is not suppose to run over the frame?

On the 1st gens the plastic piece channels it over frame nice and neatly. Then I just wipe the plastic tray channel clean.

EDIT Vancouver Bob just answered that for me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my first edition must be missing that pan. My oil filters a pain to get at, but I don't have a pan, just the skid plate to protect oil pan and front end when 4 wheeling. I leave mine off, since mines 100 percent on road vehicle.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I use a scrap piece of plywood and a large pan. There isn't too many vehicle these days, with easy access to the oil filters. My Harley Davidson, even drips on the frame and wiring. Hyundai oil filters, sit on top of the engine in a plastic, screw down cover. Maybe Ford, will figure that out one day.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it is entirely possible that plastic tray is made to drain from the front and back. There is no way to see how the back is made but the front looks like this.

IMG_20190402_162850556.jpg