Changes in the 4wd system on new Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here I thought our 41’ rig (Expedition Max + travel trailer) was long...

Bayoudude

Reaction score
correction the 4A equipped vehicles are towable 4 down, and have a procedure to put the transfer case into neutral
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resource...ngguides/Ford_Linc_18RVTTowGuide_r2_Nov27.pdf
page 13
Looking at the owners manual, it says the only way to tow 4 down is with one equipped with 4L.
I tow a Jeep Wrangler now but want to have the option to take the Expedition if I needed it for a trip. I've been researching this vehicle to replace my F150.

2155897e29047a1794657adf2bc142aa.jpg

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep there is some confusion about 4l, it is most likely that the single speed transfer cases are not equipped with the neutral feature.
but if you look at the 4x4s on the expy only a very small percent will be the single speed because if you get the hd tow package or fx4 then the 2 spd is in there. imo, i wouldnt have a 4x4 without the hd tow package. i have heard many sales guys in the past, even with super duties being very cocksure about 4l and pulling boat from water. we had 250 and 350 and used 4l every-time we pulled our boat out. But ours was not light nor small and florida ramps tend to be slick with sea grass. so it was nice to idle out of the water

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can a transfer case vary the amount of split between the front and rear? i didnt think so. i know a center differential can, but thought a transfer case was a purely mechanical predetermined amount of split.

I am very mechanically inclined and have above average understanding of vehicles, but there is so much different information regarding the 4wd system on the expedition and how the drive modes effect this.

My Explorer has a center differential or PTU that is totally variable as to how it splits power between the front and rear. The advance trak, in my understanding, controlled all of this with wheel sensors and braking to send power to wheels that have traction. for almost any normal muddy, gravelly, snowy road, it worked wonderfully!!!! obviously the avid off-roader would not be satisfied, but it wasnt really marketed for that.

just trying to find some definitive information on the behavior of the 4wd system to understand and know how to use it. we live in the mountains and frequently need 4wd/awd systems to simply get to and from home!!!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition has ControlTrac. It's not a center differential, nor a transfer case. It mimics a differential, but it's actually all electronically-controlled clutch packs.

The transfer case on the Expedition is just a gearbox that is either 1:1 or 2.64:1 depending on the mode, normal or low (used in 4L.)

Explorer used to have ControlTrac, and then ControlTrac II, which was based on a viscous coupling. Ford has since scrapped that in favor of Intelligent 4WD which works mostly like ControlTrac except it favors the front wheels instead of the rear.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're a "go big or go home" sort of a guy, aren't you?
well, in a word YES. we liked to be able to go out of sight of land in the Gulf and Atlantic.

haven't seen anything concrete on the terrain management system on the new expy, as far as tq split available to front wheels under some conditions. 4h or 4A was 50 /50 . but now i could see any degree of split based on wheel slip or terrain loads, if the 18 systems are different from previous editions, but i suspect the transfer case is not to different and the vehicles uses electronics and braking to force tq to other wheels
we use 4A all the time, our roads suck and get slick or loose with no notice. since its as close to AWD i could get in the expy, its what we live with.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4A has always been capable of 100/0 and is usually 0/100 (full RWD) unless wheel slip is occurring or predicted. It's capable of detecting and reacting to wheel slip within 1/3 a wheel revolution, and even predicting it under certain conditions.

4H would lock it to 50/50, yes.