Changing my plugs and the coil mount cracked where it screws into the valve cover. Any solutions to rig?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Decided to change out my plugs today and everything was cruising along till I went to reattach my coil packs and noticed the retaining bolt wouldn't grab. I see it's cracked at the mount, not sure if it happened on removal or when putting back in.

So, any solutions to a fix besides replacing the valve cover? Without the coil I can get it to screw in, but with the coil in place it won't grab. Is a longer bolt an option? Not even sure what 7mm bolt I'd need?

Wondering if something like JB Weld might work? Reading around on net I see some people say just to leave it, that the boot will hold it in place. I don't know how good of an option that is?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have used toothpicks to give the threads some grip and add some thread tape to bolt/screw to thicken it up.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a M5 x 25mm fine thread bolt. You can run to Lowes and get a slightly longer 30mm allen head bolt and the correct washer to get a slightly deeper bight in the good threads if there are any left.

M5 x 30 Fine Thread Allen Bolt at Lowes

Take your old bolt with you and compare lengths and see if it looks like it'll work.

Or if you want a whole pack of stainless button heads to do all of 'em so it looks like you meant to do it.... Stainless Button Head M5 x 30mm Fine Thread Screws on Amazon

Or a replacement valve cover is $100 on Amazon. You didn't say which cylinder it was, or what side of the motor.

Dorman Ford 3V Valve Cover on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've looked at it further and I don't think it's able to grab onto any threads. Basically the mount has cracked and is like a "C". My worry is if I put something too large in it that it will break apart. I may try the smallest thing I can find, maybe the wire tie wrap might work.

I've seen examples of people using JB weld to make new threads, putting lubricant on the bolt and pushing it in the JB Weld, then when it's solid you back out the bold and now have new threads. Just not sure how it'll work out.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've looked at it further and I don't think it's able to grab onto any threads. Basically the mount has cracked and is like a "C". My worry is if I put something too large in it that it will break apart. I may try the smallest thing I can find, maybe the wire tie wrap might work.

I've seen examples of people using JB weld to make new threads, putting lubricant on the bolt and pushing it in the JB Weld, then when it's solid you back out the bold and now have new threads. Just not sure how it'll work out.
Maybe this will cinch it down enough to hold. Normally I would Heli-Coil it, but since it is cracked, no good.

Stripped Thread Repair Kit, 12.9mL, Gray Form-A-Thread

Z_K2Lyfo5oy.jpg