Check Engine Soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

367KIX

Reaction score
BTW, my neighbor, the Ford mechanic, calls the check engine light the "Check Money Light". It usually means there is a sensor failure, as previous posts mentioned, but its easy money for the mechanics if the owner has no clue on how to check it and fix it themselves. I personally had a nagging Check Money Light due to an O2 sensor that kept failing, but the car still ran great. Fortunately, after about two years, the damn light finally burned out!

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NYS inspection would fail it and have to get it fixed within 30 days so you can drive legally again after that if you get caught you get a $80 ticket and still have to fix the problem!

Christa Lablanc

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a 2001 I don't know how many miles, I'm Female who hasn't gotta clue, filled up yesterday, light turned on today, check the seal on the gas cap, and re tightened it. Light stayed on. Took to Autozone to read code, checked gas cap, then tech said there was not power, so no code could be read. He asked if the cigarette lighter worked, there's 2 and only 1 works. He suggested the bad fuse for the lighter could be sending this service engine light.
https://fusesdiagram.com/ford/fuse-box-diagram-ford-expedition.html
According to this diagram the lighter is fuse 3. Am I looking in the right place? or should I look at the DTR, Fuse 5?

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reseating the gas cap it may take a few times driving and shutting off for it to turn off. Since it happened right after a full up, probably was just loose or seated incorrectly.

Hey, I've got a 2001 I don't know how many miles, I'm Female who hasn't gotta clue, filled up yesterday, light turned on today, check the seal on the gas cap, and re tightened it. Light stayed on. Took to Autozone to read code, checked gas cap, then tech said there was not power, so no code could be read. He asked if the cigarette lighter worked, there's 2 and only 1 works. He suggested the bad fuse for the lighter could be sending this service engine light.
https://fusesdiagram.com/ford/fuse-box-diagram-ford-expedition.html
According to this diagram the lighter is fuse 3. Am I looking in the right place? or should I look at the DTR, Fuse 5?