Clicking in Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my folks have an 04 Expy, and recently it started doing an odd thing. With the climate control knob all the way to the red, something in the dash clicks. Not very fast, maybe 1-2 times per second. It sounds like it is coming from the right side, so I am thinking possibly blend door.

The weird thing is if you turn the knob about a 1/2 inch off of full heat, the noise quits completely. As far as I know, all other functions operate normally, and it heats alright. I do not live with the folks so unfortunately I am unsure if there are other symptoms that would help out.

Either way, if anyone has suggestions or has opened the dash before and knows a bit more what is in there, I'll appreciate the input. It is too cold to pull the dash right now, but probably will do so in about a month or so.

Expedition907

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 04 has done this too before, now all my air comes from the defrost vents including AC, never gotten it fixed right yet. paid close to $900 for them to say its working after a few minutes on regular vent then when moved to a different vent its stuck there.

gfolsom

Reaction score
My wife's '09 has been doing this clicking thing for a few months too. I finally got sick of listening to it and realized (thanks You-tube) that the center concole of the dash can be pulled off in just a couple of minutes. The 1st gen stuff had 2 screws in the console that started the process, while my 09 didn't even need that. I simply pulled off the trim sheet at the bottom of the console, by the shifter. Gengly prying off... The main part of the center console came off easily with the pry-bar. The radio came out with four 7mm screws and then the culprit was found to be the gate motor behind and just to the right of the radio mounting bracket. There are two 5/16 screws on the top of the motor, the front one was easy to remove while the back one... well it was hard... I unplugged that motor and verified that all the rest of the controls still work. It looks like it directs some of the air to the passengers feet but it may do more than that. I can now order the replacement motor. I simply put the console back together while I wait for the new motor. I hope this helps. Look up "removing the radio" for your truck on You-Tube and you'll see a couple of really clear/helpful videos.

vicbulge

Reaction score
Doors typically fail to fully open or close. Yours isn't fully opening (hot) it stops when you back off on full hot because it can obtain that position (the actuator gives feedback based on shaft rotation, the door isn't allowing the shaft to fully rotate so it keeps trying) I would leave it alone and just stop trying for full hot, because now the actuator works.....eventually it will fail if you select full hot.