Clunking sound while turning in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperSteveK

Reaction score
2017 EL XLT

I've noticed that when I'm in 4WD and I turn right or left, there is a clunking sound and it jerks. No issues in 2WD so obviously something going on with the front wheels. Is this a driveshaft issue?

SK

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be normal. The CV joints are powered when in 4x4, so you'll get some different feelings when you steer.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try it on wet pavement. The tires need to slip a bit.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is completely normal. If you are in 4WD, and doing this on dry pavement you will BREAK things. Have you ever owned a 4WD? This is not AWD. You should read the 4WD area of your manual.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 auto can be driven around on hard surfaces (left on 100% of time). 4 low or hi will bind and make noises-especially during sharp turns.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
4WD should never be used on dry pavement. Differences in rotation of wheels on different surfaces and in turns will cause axle wind up and the bang is the sound of the tires shipping to get rid of it. As LokiWolf notes you will break the axles driving like this. This ain't a Subaru.

4A is appropriate if you think you need the front axle pulling for some reason. 4H or 4L for most guys is "boat ramp" mode as 4A works even in deep snow assuming the right tires.

If you think this banging is loud ask guys who've left an old military truck with the front axle engaged on hard surface. They'll swear they were shot at the first time.

-- Chuck