Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech

Reaction score
Honestly, is it worth buying a K&N cold air intake kit for my 2003 Expo 4.6L V8?

Will I notice much of a difference? Will I get better gas mileage? And, do I want chrome or the plastic option they have?

Thanks,
Ry :)

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your gonna do it you gotta go chrome, it at least makes ya smile when you open the hood. I didnt notice drastic differences besides a little grrrr when i hopped on it, it increased hwy mileage by 1 or 2 but didnt notice a difference in the city, mine is a 97 tho ...

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on most vehicles more air in just isnt enough. but with a nice exhaust they compliment each other.

SPreston2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like mines!! I went with the Chrome so my Beast would look good when I popped the hood. You will notice slight increases in HP and acceleration but nothing major. Like others have said a intake alone is not enough to get major increases but its a piece of the puzzle when it comes to gaining more performance out of your machine.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at K&N CAI a while back, didn't end up getting one because I figured for the cost and me not doing any other mods, it would kind of be wasted at that time. But from the research I did the chrome one (I think series 77) looks nicer to most, but isn't the top of the line model. The one that is more expensive and has plastic has a different shape that at least for the 2001 model expo's allowed for better air delivery. Also it came with a heat shield to help with bringing in cooler air. Either one in tandem with other performance enhancements will prob work well, but as others have stated, by itself doesn't do enough.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had one on my 99 4.6. It worked not bad, nice sound. Only thing is low end torque was lost, and you can see it in their dyno sheet. Made a ***** for towing because you'd downshift and the engine would scream and wouldn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

sniper141

Reaction score
Nice

I like the set up, most cold air will come from there and I will mostly get this setup, any idea how much it runs?!:cool: