Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks! I will get it taken care of. Sucks though, wife is giving me shit saying “you spent all that $$$ on a ************* with problems already.”

Ya I hear you there.
if you do get a new turbo, check your fluids before you take it in for repair. Then check oil and antifreeze before you pick it up. My truck was 1.5 quarts low on oil after the turbo change, the dealer never filled the oil back up that leaked out.

acf83

Reaction score

^Video of my Expy during a cold start.
Mine did the same. They replaced the VCT solenoids & catalytics and the noise was still there. They finally gave in and replaced the turbo a few days ago. they even stated the noise was "normal". I questioned them on if its normal then why the VCT and cat's? they have had the vehicle 11 weeks now.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the same. They replaced the VCT solenoids & catalytics and the noise was still there. They finally gave in and replaced the turbo a few days ago. they even stated the noise was "normal". I questioned them on if its normal then why the VCT and cat's? they have had the vehicle 11 weeks now.[/QUOTE

Wow man that’s nuts!

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an appointment at my local Ford service center this Tuesday. I hope they don’t play with me. I have the videos and will turn on Marine mode if needed. GET SOME!!!

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started the truck with the technician and service manager in the service bay.

I reved up truck, the tech heard the rattel.

I had him unplug the electrical connector to the wastegate. And rattel was gone. The tech was shocked, a turbo with such low miles was bad.

Before that I was explaing the issue to the service manager, They were trying to tell me that is normal.

So thats went we all took a walk to the truck. I had to show them the rattel. And how to stop the rattel by unplugging the electrical connector.