Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I have a slight rattle coming from the driver side turbo on cold starts. I’m thinking it is the waste-gate flapper valve in the exhaust pipe flapping like the guy says in the video in the link. Think I should live with it or use the warranty?

I’ll post a video of my Expedition doing it and add the link here.
Live with it? You have warranty. You will lose power if the waste gate not sealing/working. I would would trade it in.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Live with it? You have warranty. You will lose power if the waste gate not sealing/working. I would would trade it in.

I just bought this ride on July 12th...LMAO! I have an appt. w/ Ford Service tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crazy these rides have such issues when there less then 5 years old with how much they cost etc. There awesome to drive when there running right though! My 2004 F-150 4x4 5.4L 3V never went into the shop the 14 years I owned it...

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
I just bought this ride on July 12th...LMAO! I have an appt. w/ Ford Service tomorrow morning.
Man don’t let em walk on you. You e done your research, it’s time for them to step up and do their part. I just hope they don’t take your truck for a couple weeks

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
**Post Ford service appt: They are replacing my driver-side turbo. I was with the mechanic while he assessed the issue. Showed him the video. He said it is normal for it to make a clicking noise for 3 seconds at cold startup but not for 5 seconds or more & that he would replace it under warranty. He also listened to the passenger-side turbo which had no clicking/rattling noise.

I also asked him what common issues the 4th Gens have & he said cam phasers. That this issue normally presents its self at 12k-15k OD. Also turbos with waste-gate flapper valve issues.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post Ford service appt: They are replacing my driver-side turbo. I was with the mechanic while he assessed the issue. Showed him the video. He said it is normal for it to make a clicking noise for 3 seconds at cold startup but not for 5 seconds or more & that he would replace it under warranty. He also listened to the passenger-side turbo which had no clicking/rattling noise.

I also asked him what common issues the 4th Gens have & he said cam phasers. That this issue normally presents its self at 12k-15k OD. Also turbos with waste-gate flapper valve issues.

You should definitely Trade it in though, it could hand grenade at any time! ;):Big Laugh: HAHA!

Glad they diagnosed it, and are replacing the Turbo.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weird b/c borg warner makes the turbos, and they are a good product.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have the same noises, mostly from the drivers side. But mine happens all the time, regardless of cold start or after 45min of use. I can hear it for example when there is a median on the left of my vehicle. It only happens at low RPM. Seems to mostly be on driver side, I've bought a stethoscope to listen in before I take it in. Where is the wastegate connector?

texasscot

Reaction score
i dont think the flapper in the exhaust is a wastegate. my beemer has this issue and its a cold start emission control device that forces the exhaust gases down one pipe until it reaches operating temp when it then opens and the rattle decreases. In my 335i its controlled by a vacuum line which i sealed off as the fail safe is open. No issues with CEL or anything and no rattle now for years.

lol, please ignore my post above and sorry for wasting anyones time. i should have read the posts from the top. beemer boards are full of folks calling the exhaust flapper the "wastegate" and i just jumped. i'll see myself back to the gen 2 forum...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have the same noises, mostly from the drivers side. But mine happens all the time, regardless of cold start or after 45min of use. I can hear it for example when there is a median on the left of my vehicle. It only happens at low RPM. Seems to mostly be on driver side, I've bought a stethoscope to listen in before I take it in. Where is the wastegate connector?

center, the black plastic, at the top of that is the electrical connector. If you disconnect you can diagnose if it’s the wastegate.

5E835DDB-7F03-4ACE-9619-CBCDF646A8D0.png