Confused on Axle Ratios and Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does a WDH increase the payload at all, or does it not work like that?

What’s throwing me off is that the Expedition I’m looking at shows a sticker with 1,389 lbs max payload. That seems low for something that has all the bells and whistles that come with the HD tow package.
1528# on my shortie XLT.

Ktm6200

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a '15-'17 Expedition, but having a hard time finding reliable information. In an ideal world, I'd love to find a 3.31 or 3.73 with 15,200 GCWR to get the models max towing capacity (9,200 lbs).

The '16 4x4 I am looking at has the HD Trailer Tow Package, but the sticker on the door indicates a 3.15 Axle with max payload of 1,389lbs.
A VIN Decoder on this vehicle indicates a 3.31 Axle, max payload of 1,620 lbs, with a 12,500 GCWR

Which do I believe? The sticker, or the VIN Decoder? Although both report different information, both suggest the max towing capacity is 6,600 lbs.

My goal here is to tow a camper that weighs ~5,500 lbs. I currently drive a 2016 Dodge Durango that is supposed to tow 6,200 lbs, and the camper makes my Durango sag enough where I wanted a better towing vehicle. The Durango is properly equipped. Trucks are not an option based on family and pets.

Do I pass on this '16 and continue looking for something else?

Thanks in advance.
-NJ
I have a 2015 EL Max Tow Package 3.73. The truck tows 6,000 pounds without any trouble at all. It's a 4x4 and is rated at 9100 with weight distribution hitch. One thing I have noticed is after about 1500 lbs It needs to be in Manual Mode as to keep the RPM slightly above 2000 around 21, 2200 otherwise I get a strange intermittent shutter that you can feel throughout the truck. Happens when rpm drops below 2000 and appling throttle. Can't tell if its a transmission or Turbo lag issues. If I tow in Manual 5th gear. 2200 rpm around 65 mph no issues. Anyone Else experience this scenario?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Don't know if your experience is typical but I've not experienced your symptoms with either my '07 (5.4 V8) or '17 (3.5 EcoBoost). Nor have I ever found a need to tow in "manual" or keep engine rpms above 2000 rpm for any reason. (Why "above 2000"? 7000 pound (guesstimate) travel trailer. Western Virginia and Pennsylvania mountains don't even need "tow haul" but I sometimes use it -- if I remember.

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 EL Max Tow Package 3.73. The truck tows 6,000 pounds without any trouble at all. It's a 4x4 and is rated at 9100 with weight distribution hitch. One thing I have noticed is after about 1500 lbs It needs to be in Manual Mode as to keep the RPM slightly above 2000 around 21, 2200 otherwise I get a strange intermittent shutter that you can feel throughout the truck. Happens when rpm drops below 2000 and appling throttle. Can't tell if its a transmission or Turbo lag issues. If I tow in Manual 5th gear. 2200 rpm around 65 mph no issues. Anyone Else experience this scenario?
Could it be related to the torque converter locking up?

Ktm6200

Reaction score
Don't know if your experience is typical but I've not experienced your symptoms with either my '07 (5.4 V8) or '17 (3.5 EcoBoost). Nor have I ever found a need to tow in "manual" or keep engine rpms above 2000 rpm for any reason. (Why "above 2000"? 7000 pound (guesstimate) travel trailer. Western Virginia and Pennsylvania mountains don't even need "tow haul" but I sometimes use it -- if I remember.

-- Chuck
Thanks.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The '16 4x4 I am looking at has the HD Trailer Tow Package, but the sticker on the door indicates a 3.15 Axle with max payload of 1,389lbs.
A VIN Decoder on this vehicle indicates a 3.31 Axle, max payload of 1,620 lbs, with a 12,500 GCWR

Which do I believe? The sticker, or the VIN Decoder? Although both report different information, both suggest the max towing capacity is 6,600 lbs.

My goal here is to tow a camper that weighs ~5,500 lbs. I currently drive a 2016 Dodge Durango that is supposed to tow 6,200 lbs, and the camper makes my Durango sag enough where I wanted a better towing vehicle.
Always go with the sticker. That's required to be accurate by law. A vin decoder is some random dude on the internet. The 1389lb payload is accurate.
Out of curiousity, have you weighed your rig at a CAT scale using the three pass method? (Durango and trailer hitched together normally, Durango and trailer with weight distribution bars disconnected, and just the Durango.) That'll give you both the tongue weight of the trailer and tell you what your weight distribution bars are doing or not doing. You just might find out you've got the wrong bars and/or have them set up incorrectly and be able to stick with the Durango after adjusting your WDH setup.

rowekmr

Reaction score
I wonder if the OP is comparing two different criteria. Saying the Durango isn’t up to towing his trailer because of rear suspension sag is a measure of rear suspension capacity to “carry” the tongue weight.
The discussion of rear ratios I thought pertain to the capability to “pull” the trailer.

I’ve owned older models with rear air suspension which compensates for rear loads/tongue weights. Did they discontinue the rear air suspension in the more recent models with the HD tow options?

FYI I also towed with a older Aspen which was the Durango’s cousin and although the Hemi engine and transmission was up to the task of towing 5-7k the rear suspension wasn’t. The springs were too soft and like the OP too much sag so I sold it after a year.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to confirm what you have, post the last 8 digits of your VIN # and I can tell you what ratio you have, HD towing or not etc

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Rear suspension sag is easy to fix, just remove the shock absorbers and weld rebar in their place.

Is this a good idea? Of course not but this is what gimmicks like Timbrens and airbags do in a more subtle fashion. None increase the GAWR or put weight on the front (steering) axle or decrease rear axle load. "Towing level" is the result of proper weight distribution, not the goal which the gimmicks will lead you to believe. Timbrens and airbags don't help when towing. A WDH is the proper solution and even those have limits in the amount of weight they can distribute.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze