Considering a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonSnow

Reaction score
I’m looking at a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 121,000 miles. Asking price is $6,900. It looks like it’s in overall good condition, but I’m going to get it checked by a mechanic.

I did notice that the rear air vents don’t seem to work. I can hear the fan blowing but no air comes out. I also think the heated/cooled seats don’t work. I hear a click when I push the button but the seat doesn’t get warmer or colder.

Are either of these common issues with this vehicle & if so, are they expensive to fix? Would it be reasonable to ask the dealer to fix them as part of the deal, or would they be big job and unlikely to be included as a concession?

Thanks for any feedback you all can provide!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Expy is worth $3-4k if everything works and it's in very good shape otherwise.
It is definitely possible the seat heater elements have gone bad after 16 years. The lack of airflow in the rear vents should just be a bad airflow door actuator and you can actually fix that yourself pretty easy. The actuator ( there's also one for the temperature control...) are all located in the rear quarter panel along with the rear AC unit. Insist on a Carfax report on the vehicle. Check the frame under the Expy for rust issues, and the roof channels on top for rust issues. Use a synthetic 10w-30 oil in it and it should last you a long time. But DO NOT overpay for the vehicle. Keep looking and don't get a glaze over your eyes.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/expedition...de-in&condition=verygood&options=6328937|true

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JonSnow

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. $3-4K seems unlikely around my parts unless it’s a private sale & this one is at a Ford dealership. I’m in a fairly rural area without too many options.

I was thinking of making an offer of $5K contingent on a clean inspection. I did check the usual areas for rust & didn’t see anything except for a couple of smaller bubbles on the rear hatch.

F9F1F2B4-550E-4667-BD53-77B0175E0BD8.jpeg

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that the one at Kelleher? I looked at it a couple days ago online, I'm in the market for lower-ish mileage 2v. The 2 rear end collisions in the carfax and the fact that it is listed as mileage exempt caused me to stray away from it. Based on condition via pics I dont necessarily doubt the mileage being true but it will definitely affect value, minimal as it may be. It would be a question I'd have for insurance for sure as they'd probably value it as low as possible and a moderate accident could easily result in a salvage title. 6900 is far too much given just to two pieces of info without even driving it. I have a car buddy who lives not too far who was willing to check it out for me if I was serious, i just wasnt confident based on that.

5k imo would be generous. The dealer is trying to capitalize on people have pockets full of cash at tax time. My advice wait unless you need a vehicle now or can score a heck of a deal on it or it's just obscenely nice in person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JonSnow

Reaction score
How are you making the determination that the price is too high? KBB says $5-7K is fair market range for one like this with these miles. I’d love to get it for less than $5K, but that seems like it might be a stretch.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are you making the determination that the price is too high? KBB says $5-7K is fair market range for one like this with these miles. I’d love to get it for less than $5K, but that seems like it might be a stretch.

I am not the only one saying it as well as based on the facts listed in the Carfax that I stated above and that if you search for other $6-7k 2v expy's throughout the US you'll find nicer examples with no accident history and lower/documented mileage, I've filtered through about 350 listings in the past 2 weeks and not making that up. KBB is also basing that price off of very good condition. I assure you that if you were bring the same vehicle to trade w any accident history, even minor the very same dealer would scoff if your face saying your vehicle was in fact not very good due to said history and you should be as skeptical. I was just giving my insight as to why I went on with my search but you're local and have seen it, have to trust your gut as it's your $.

I'm 2k miles away which sounds nuts but I can fly for virtually nothing thanks to family and drive whatever I want back and have spent some decent time looking. Low miles aren't everything, I'd trust one with 200k again if it had service history to back it up and test drove well vs half the mileage and having a magic 8 ball gives me good vibes.

A lot of dealers out there seem to think that all 15+yr old vehicles with under 150k are low mileage xxxxx miles below market average creampuffs that command a hefty premium when in reality 90% of them are just the slightly above average condition used vehicle and there are literally hundreds of them out there if you broaden the search. Use that to negotiate, if you can articulate why you feel you deserve the price your asking and can show them the competition it might end up making sense to them. Unlikely based on my experience selling autos in the past but it never hurts to try! It's one of the many reasons I walked away from that industry, it's all about the $ and literally nothing else matters to the majority of them.

OP
OP
J

JonSnow

Reaction score
Some great points, thanks for the feedback. I haven’t actually test driven it yet, just spend a few minutes going through it without a salesman hovering. Might see if I can get some time to drive it tomorrow and see how it drives.

Truth be told I wasn’t really looking for an Expedition. I wanted something inexpensive with 4WD and reliable. After seeing this one and researching Expeditions, they seem like a pretty solid buy - if you get the right model year & it hasn’t been beat to heck.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are quite reliable, properly maintained anyway. With any 4wd there's a lot of components that need regular service/care. That being said this has been one of the most reliable/comfortable vehicles I've ever owned but I attribute that to the original owners care as well as continuing w the same schedules he had done.

The 03 I have now was was purchased because it was in better condition than the 2011 EL Limited I went to look at despite having over 60k more miles and 8 years older. I picked it up just a tick over 205k and everything worked except the rear passenger window regulator which are a common failure. The previous owner provided me with close to $6k in maintenance records throughout its life. It has turned into my commuter because I like driving it better than my old vehicle and coming up on 220k with little more done than oil changes and many tanks of gas. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this across country to pick up something else if it weren't for the extreme cost in fuel which is likely more than a retail price flight.

JB1258

Reaction score
I have a 2004 EB 2 wheel drive and I think you need to be for warned this year was a lemon year for the EXP. My Wide and I bought this new off the dealers lot had 6 miles on it .I have 125000 on it and it has been maintained very well but last year I started having problems with it stalling and you would let it set for a few minutes and it would start up no problem.Then it finally would not start back up one day .Turns out the fuel pump went out you have to drop the tank to change it out so get it changed and go to start it up and it still will not run.It burned the relay for the fuel pump out and it not made so that you can just get a new relay from Ford and change it out .The fix for this is pull the complete fuse panel out and send it off to be repaired or get a new one from ford 600.00 that is just the part I got mine repaired and it cost around 170.00 for the part and I changed it out myself . I drove it for a month or so and the power door locks quit working and when that happened I cannot open the back hatch at all and to unlock the doors except drivers I can use a key the rest you need to do from the inside but you cannot open the back hatch. The alarm will not work the auto off and on for the head lights will not work and the auto off for the radio will not work.I would like to drive this thing off a cliff I think the problem is a Body Control Module but I need to take it somewhere and have them hook it up to a scanner and see what codes popup the BCM can be repaired for around 200.00 but you must pull it out of the car and send it off to be repaired .The dealer will sell you a new one which is 200.00 for the part but they need to flash it and reprogram it to new keys .I am a ford man all the way I owned my own business and all of my trucks were Fords but this has been a pain in the ass I agree with everyone else the dealer has the car priced to high 5000.00 is the max I would pay and beware I hope you don't go through what I have been .Good luck

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to downplay the issues but you're upset and believe Ford sold you a lemon because after 16 years and 125,000 miles it's starting to have issues? Things are wearing out, it happens. Unfortunately they're some of the costly things and if you dont know what you're doing they cost even more in labor. Maintenance has 0 to do with what you've experienced.

You likely have a failing VSM. It would also be a good idea to check grounds, especially if you've been messing around w the fuse box in the passenger kick. The VSM is grounded there, I forget which one but a quick google would probably get you there.