Coolant flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nordictom

Reaction score
Sorry if my seach effort missed this topic..........

I need to replace the heater core in the Expy. I do have the FSM, but it doesn't elaborate on a flushing procedure.
Can someone let me know what line to splice into, procedures.... etc? What flush chemical does everyone like?

1998 Expy Eddie B., 5.4, 4x4, with rear heat & a/c.

Thanks,
NT

Last edited:

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually just use clean water. drain the coolant, refill, drain a coulple more times. then I just put the hose into the cap hole, open the drain and start the engine keep water running in faster than it comes out till it looks nice and clean. then drain and refill with 50/50 mix.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help as I had the dealer do the coolant flush for me. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with a procedure.

OP
OP
nordictom

nordictom

Reaction score
Thanks Guy's.

I heard the the Haynes or Chilton manual(s) had a procedure that was pretty though, that's the reason I'm asking. I ordered both manuals, they just haven't arrived yet, & I had the time this weekend.

NT

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nordictom when we flush the big trucks we use a tried and true method that will save you some hard earned cash......

Dump your old coolant, fill back up with a mix of Dawn or Cascade and distilled water. Let the engine run up to temp for a while, then cool and drain. If the cooling system has been serviced correctly in the past there won't be much junk to remove. Therefore you don't need the aggressive cleaners. Also depending on which detergent you use, you may have a fresh lemony smell....

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just flush with water, unless the coolant is old if so any coolant flush will work (prestone..etc)

OP
OP
nordictom

nordictom

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I don't know when the last time the coolant was serviced. So, I'm probably going to use the Prestone cleaner method.

Thanks,

NT