Coolent Leak 2001 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marv02

Reaction score
When I pulled up today I noticed there was leak under the EX after taking a quick look at it.

The leak is Coolent comming from the trans area I am thinking it for the rear HVAC system the heater tubes look like the go over or next to the trans but they look like hard lines are there rubber hoses up there I not seeing.

And Heads up what is this normal it has 130000 miles on it I sure hope it not a frezze plug.

Has any one else out there pulled these line out to repair them and is going to a pain to do.

OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
I looked under the EX once again to get a better look at stuff the hose and hard lines seem fine What I can see the freeze plug look good the heater hose going in the fire wall no leaks.

The motor is dry I checked the Valley between the heads it dry.

The starter is wet not bad the major leak is at the trans right hand side just in front of the Trans cross member thats where it dripping at.

The Bell housing where it meets the trans is wet also.

HELP where is leaking at.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Marv, take a look back on the back edge of the passenger side head. It is very possible you can have a leak from there. This is a common leak point for the Expy's due to the high temps that that area gets due to the lack of ventilation there. Also, I seem to recall a coolant line running back in that area that is really well hidden (I managed to mess it up when pulling off my heads due to not seeing it). That could also be failing on you.

OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
I take a look at it tommarow Thanks.

Marv, take a look back on the back edge of the passenger side head. It is very possible you can have a leak from there. This is a common leak point for the Expy's due to the high temps that that area gets due to the lack of ventilation there. Also, I seem to recall a coolant line running back in that area that is really well hidden (I managed to mess it up when pulling off my heads due to not seeing it). That could also be failing on you.

OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
How hard is it to pull the heads off the EX just by looking at it It seems like to be a pain due to the motor being under the windsheild.

QUOTE=Thermo;89431]Marv, take a look back on the back edge of the passenger side head. It is very possible you can have a leak from there. This is a common leak point for the Expy's due to the high temps that that area gets due to the lack of ventilation there. Also, I seem to recall a coolant line running back in that area that is really well hidden (I managed to mess it up when pulling off my heads due to not seeing it). That could also be failing on you.[/QUOTE]

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you actually take the heads off port&polish the heads, upper and lower intake while your at it! why not have a little extra power?

OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
Dont need a moded motor I already have a Vett that not stock.

I dont what to pull the heads If I do I put a set of Trick flows on it.

Then once again Knowing my self if torn down that far mite as well do the bottom end I not that much more work bell housoing bolts and motor mounts out it comes..

Thats how my Corvette started as a Bad fuel line I had to pull the A/C compressor it burned a little oil so mite as well do it right LOL.

New stroker Motor trans rear end Ect 1.5 years on jack stands but it sure runs hard.

If you actually take the heads off port&polish the heads, upper and lower intake while your at it! why not have a little extra power?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
Took the EX apart was not that bad it looked like a pain.

It's the heater hard line you can see it where it was leaking at.

What concrens me now when I pulled the top Rad hose off the inside of the thermostate housing was muddy.

It could been old coolent or is something bad geting ready to go bad.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
marv02, pulling the heads isn't a hard job really if you know anything about motors. Granted, plan on about 9 hours to get the heads off, another 9 hours to reassemble the engine. that is what it took me to do the work. Now, this was me working by myself. So, if you can get yourself and one other guy there who knows what the hell is going on, you can probably do it in say 12 hours. But, that would be flying low.

if you want to know more, let me know. I pulled the heads because I popped a spark plug and it took the threads with it and I didn't want to live in fear of another plug going so I Timesert'ed all 8 plug holes. So, no more worries for me.

OP
OP
Marv02

Marv02

Reaction score
After work I got to pull the hard line out the rear nuts and studs kinda of a pain but they are out.

I put some air pressure on it to see where there leakng at so far no leaks I have some water in them now hanging and see if they leak it could be just the intake gasket after all and it's spraying on to the rear of the motor and the hard line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX