Cost of New Brake Pads and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Detroit Axle brand via Amazon. A friend who is in chain supply management mentioned the brake components (rotors etc) are manufactured by a few companies - usually in China. Maybe not 100% accurate, but see the next article.

Ford OEM parts sourced from China... worth reading.
https://www.autonews.com/article/20051205/SUB/51202050/ford-sources-aftermarket-parts-from-china

Here is a link to Detroit Axle F/R package on Amazon for the 2013 expy- $199.25 with hardware. Maybe consider it.

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle...------------&vehicleName=2013+Ford+Expedition

I did the front on my '03 with the Detroit Axle kit, all hardware, brake fluid, brake cleaner included and all is well. No noise from the pads, great performance.

Just worth mentioning.

Dick

OP
OP
dakotazeb

dakotazeb

Reaction score
This is all great guys but I'm not a do it yourselfer. My question of cost was having it done at a dealership or reputable auto repair store.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The prices you received are right in the ballpark. You have to see whose parts you are getting. I'd stick with OEM or just about any major manufacturer. Very many garages give you the cheapest junk they can buy, and there's some real garbage out there.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is all great guys but I'm not a do it yourselfer. My question of cost was having it done at a dealership or reputable auto repair store.

Some independent shops needing the business will allow parts to be brought in, if not a DYI'er.

For some jobs I can't tackle I have an indy that prefers I bring the parts in. The Detroit Axle parts do have a 10 year warranty.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I usually call three to five shops in the area for a quote if it's something I can't do.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually call three to five shops in the area for a quote if it's something I can't do.

Good idea. I'll usually use a shop for a small job to see how they handle the customer first. I looked in SD for an NTB (National Tire and Battery) but does not look like they are there. I do my own brake jobs - rotor replacements, but their pricing for oil change/semi-synthetic cost it's easier to take to them to deal with it. Brakes, other small components are different. EGR system components, hoses, COP's, filters etc I'll do.

A dealer would of course be competent to do the job, but you'll pay a premium.

I was forced to take my truck to a dealer and it even took them 3 visits and 2-3 days down each time per visit. Last visit they paid for my rental car for 4 days. Long story. Short version - they had to fabricate a wire harness from scratch - none available anywhere in the country. Battery cables, starter cable, fusible link. All's well now.

Do the above, call a few, visit the shop. Look for maybe a shop that only does brakes. We have some on those in Houston. Unsure about your area. I've never been unhappy changing out to ceramic pads on these trucks.

GL

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Powerstop Z36 kit from Rock Auto. Great stopping power, drilled rotors for cooling, ceramic -CF pads for a powerful stop.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,13824

K3167-36__ra_p.jpg

These are great, I also installed these back in July and they are likely the best set of pads and rotors I've had on any vehicle. They stop well, very smooth..no movement in pedal under moderste/hard braking, and look nice. I would see about using your own parts regardless of where you take it. If a shop says no and you're trying to bring in a quality component I'd take business elsewhere. If $100+ an hour isn't enough for them to want your business if you won't buy the overpriced parts from them they can shove it.

The pricing you've posted seems to be in line with what I would expect w labor. Definitely find out what components are being included, there isbam awful wide range of quality and cost for parts. You can easily find per axle cost of parts for $100 or less and then if you're paying the remainder in labor I would say that's fairly high, even at a dealer $230+ an axle seems exorbitant. In my experience if you don't ask for something specific you usually get the bottom basement quality components that maximize their profit.

vincentrose

Reaction score
I just recently did a Rear Brake Jobs, New Pads, Rotors, Parking Brake Shoes, and Hardware, all Motorcraft Parts (except for the brake hardware, got Raybestos there) all for $308 from Rockauto. Did it all myself on a Saturday.