Cost to R&R oils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I have the same 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L as you. Had it since it was new. I have 331K on it now. Every 30,000 I have drained the transmission (about 6.5 qts) and changed the filter. The transmission fluid is always red and looks nearly new. I have never had a problem with the transmission. I have also changed the oil in the front and rear differentials at 150K and 300K. The rear is supposed to be lubed for life and when I changed it the first time at 150K I was wondering why I did it because it still looked good. I've flushed and changed coolant as recommended in the owners manual. Ford and Zerex still have the original green coolant. It's actually cheaper to just get it from Ford. And don't forget changing the transfer case oil (every 150K) and the fuel filter (every 30K). I do all of these things myself in my driveway. I'm too cheap to pay $900 to have somebody else do it, but it's good you're getting it done. I also change the plugs every 100K and replaced the COPs when they were going bad at about 300K. The only non-wear item failures I've had are the intake manifold (plastic, cracked around 200K) and the ABS electronics which I had repaired for $120 many years ago. I've changed a lot of other stuff, but it was all what I would consider to be wear items. I think these first generations will last to 400K if taken care of. That's my goal, anyway.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
I have the same 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L as you. Had it since it was new. I have 331K on it now...The only non-wear item failures I've had are the intake manifold (plastic, cracked around 200K) and the ABS electronics which I had repaired for $120 many years ago. I've changed a lot of other stuff, but it was all what I would consider to be wear items. I think these first generations will last to 400K if taken care of. That's my goal, anyway.

Similar here...2002 EB 5.4L, 1-owner from new in 2001, now has 176K. I replaced my own plastic intake manifold once, around 150K, and dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump in my own garage using a cheap floor jack shortly thereafter. Those are the only two significant repair jobs I've had to undertake, and both were easily DIY in my own 2-car garage, where I've kept 'er since I bought 'er.

[Edited to add that my drained and replaced fluid is still red as well.]

Last edited: