Crack in side of muffler - lots of short trips all winter - can I patch it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy J

Reaction score
The exhaust shop can make anything fit. I had em go 3 inch all the way back from the cats, and i used a flow master on my old 98 f150 5.4. It sounded wonderful. Before they install it, i would give it a few coats of high temp engine paint, and then after they are installed, do your best to paint the welds they did. Itll help prevent most rust, especially since you live where it snows.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any Muffler with same inlet/outlet, and a close proximity to pipe coming into it can be made to work. That being said you do realize a two chamber design like you pictured, is for maximum flow for maximum horsepower, for guys and girls that want loud sound, and most power for their engine. Me personally I can't stand loud any more, haven't for years. No I'd look into a quiet stock replacement that is coated so it won't rust out. Oh by the way doing short runs and shutting down your engine builds up moisture due to not heating up fully and burning off condensation. It doesn't help that you live in a snowy part of the country either.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Their you go! If your old ones not welded in, or are set up to do some exaust r&r, go for it yourself. Worse case scenario, you noisily drive your Suv past the cop, to the Muffler shop, with new Walker in hatch area, and hand him your keys!

OP
OP
HarveyCat

HarveyCat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Their you go! If your old ones not welded in, or are set up to do some exaust r&r, go for it yourself. Worse case scenario, you noisily drive your Suv past the cop, to the Muffler shop, with new Walker in hatch area, and hand him your keys!

I think my shop will do it for $50 - but I will have to see I do have 20V cordless saw and muffler clamps.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For $50.00 its almost not worth jacking it up. But give it a look see. It's just a Muffler. Spray all the clamps, and where the Muffler connects into the tail pipe. A block of wood and a good whack of a large hammer, should get your party started!

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From just doing something similar with my '00 EB/4.6L, I'll say this, the closer you can get size-wise, to your original muffler, i.e., length, pipe diameter, center in/out, etc., the LESS it'll cost you on installation. That muff looks like a "turbo" muffler and being a 2-chamber style it will be a bit more aggressive, sound-wise. I have a Flowmaster Delta Flow 50-Series that I "repurposed" from my work-in-progress Grand Cherokee and I wish I had just gone ahead and bought a slightly more aggressive style muff as this 50-Series is almost as quiet as the factory unit.

OP
OP
HarveyCat

HarveyCat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From just doing something similar with my '00 EB/4.6L, I'll say this, the closer you can get size-wise, to your original muffler, i.e., length, pipe diameter, center in/out, etc., the LESS it'll cost you on installation...

I went with the below -- it should be very close to the OEM muffler.

Here is the Amazon link - click below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8Z8WA

31mvLfC1g-L.jpg

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh no no, this thread is heretic dogma.. no no... the collar on the tube which connects the tube to the muffler box has rotted black, like my soul, and there is a hole in it, but this hole produces the most perfect satisfying exhaust note i have ever heard. its got balls, i can feel my truck, it lives, but its not overtly loud, and the tone is perfect. you couldn't literally buy a better sound. the bought mufflers make this sound which sounds too engineered to me, all of them do, even the "good" ones just sound too perfect. its cheap. oh no, nobody here is touching my friggin muffler, im closing my browser forever.