Crank, no start. @10 minutes - reset(?) - starts, runs fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New day..... spent the am reviewing owners manual, and google solutions to various no-start conditions.

Into the xp.....turned key to 'on'. all dash lights seemed normal. Fuel needle rose rapidly to near the max position. XP started nicely, no check eng. light, or other malfunction
indicator lights.

Back to google for no-start conditions. Low fuel is one condition. Again, the fuel gage was showing a tad above 1/4, and the station fuel pump showed 16 gal. delivery.

A major concern is what is RE-SETTING to allow the xp to finally start after about 10 minutes. Can't find an answer (considering I'm not the sharpest tool in the box).

One precaution I am going to take is to refuel at 1/2 tank, may not be the solution, but we shall see over time.

I think the vapor canister has been eliminated as the problem, and I am not concerned with fuel pressure at the present.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Don, you only get this knowledge from first hand experience. Some good, some so bad, you remember it, when you get so old, you can't remember anything else, but you can still remember 1971 scary ain't it. You've got some great stories too, love hearing them. 86:years old and still driving Corvettes. John Wayne would have been proud!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tech and I agreed..... no sense in testing a perfectly running truck with no codes. Only clue to 'crank-no start' condition (twice in 2 months) was that it occurred with fuel at the
1/4 level. Fuel gage works perfectly, so the float may be sending a faulty message to the PCM (?). Temporary solution is to refuel at 1/2 tank level (that is not a hardship as the
truck is only driven 1200 miles/year) and see if that solves the problem. To drop the tank and replace the fuel pump is about $750. Best not to throw parts until testing is completed,
and confirmed.

David Kuchler

Reaction score
i have a 2006 Expy, your symptoms are identical, the 10 minute thing, I replaced a relay in fuse block, and problem was solved, the fuel pump driver board when it failed on me it was over never ran again till I replaced the board
I went to pick and pull and took all the relays outta the fuse block passenger side wall front seat area, and they where all made in Italy, the ones in my expy where made in us, all mine had been hot by the coloration on the terminals when I pulled them, the Italian made where clean as day new, and came from an older expy but where identical.
pictures don't lend justice to the heat the us made had endured but attached for review

IMG_3951 (Copy).JPG

IMG_3953 (Copy).JPG

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DAVE, thanks for the informative post. Did you happen to notice the fuel level at 'crank, no-start?

David Kuchler

Reaction score
Mine occurred coming home from the lake with boat in tow, no warning, truck just shut off, I pulled to side of road, was calling for a tow, and after about 15 minutes it started, fuel level 1/2 tank or higher, then again 5 miles down the road, it shut down again, and 20 minutes fired right up, then 5 miles later shut down again, 20 minutes fired right up, and one more time prior to arriving home, then it ran fine for a week, and I was heading out of town, in a snow storm full tank, got caught in a chain up area, and when traffic cleared it died, 20 minutes fired up I turned around and went straight to pick and pull replaced the relay, and never happened again that was 6000 miles ago

David Kuchler

Reaction score
Hey Don
I can run down and replace those for ya, if ya have room on that boat go get us some salmon of the coast there :)))))

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If the car is running when you fill it, the gauge won't come up right away. That's normal. It will take about ten minutes to register the new fuel level.

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Don
I can run down and replace those for ya, if ya have room on that boat go get us some salmon of the coast there :)))))[/QUOTE

Thanks for the offer to replacer the relays, David. The second boat owner from me allowed the boat to wash up on the boardwalk beach during
a wind storm, and it had to be cut up for removal. There certainly would have been enough room for a salmon trip. The boat packed 14 tons,
but the salmon population has been very scarce of late.

The problem would have been with your trip from Reno, unless you hired a rental vehicle.

My xp has never stopped running, only failed to start near 1/4 tank. So, there may be a different problem. As mentioned earlier, I'm going to refuel
around !/2 tank as a test.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Don, just noticed your in Santa Cruz, 95 miles from DalyCity. You very well could have a failing pump. You or some shop needs to run a pressure test, particularly if you can make it act up. If you had a 2005, I'd say maybe the fuel pump driver module. Mine was giving me intermittent no start, or long Crank last week. It seems fine now, but I'll probably need a pump too. Maybe one of these weekends I'll make it down south, and we'll get together.[emoji2]

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk