Crankshaft Pulley Gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all, I had a basic question about reinstalling a crankshaft pulley on my 2001 Ford expedition XLT 4.6. I went to install a crankshaft pulley after this timing job and at a certain point I could not go any further as the torque for the install tool got tougher and tougher.

I've attached a couple of photos so you can see how big the gap is between the timing cover and the crank pulley. It's about a quarter inch. It looks like I'm lined up with the other pulleys but just want to make sure that this is okay before I put it back together and run the risk of the accessory belt flying off. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_105747263.jpg
    IMG_20210815_105747263.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210815_105738072.jpg
    IMG_20210815_105738072.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done that yet. And thanks for the input, I just wasn't sure if I needed to be at a specific distance from the timing cover. The other pulleys are a little closer to the timing cover, about 1/8 of an inch. The crank is a bit further back about a quarter inch but it still looks like it lines up okay.

By the way, off topic but I went to put my spark plugs in and it turns out that cylinder for threads are damaged in some way. My spark plug will not catch onto the threads so I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy the insert kit and prepare it with that. I feel a little silly because I thought about having the Machine shop do it when the heads were off but decided not to. ;-(

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks about right. Did you torque the crankshaft bolt down per specs ? ( New Bolt Required for torque to yield application ).

Ford 4.6/5.4 Crankshaft Pulley Bolt on Amazon

After torqueing the bolt in the pulley sat further in it's original position. Been a while since I've done this, I forget that tightening the bolt down does the rest of the work for you.