crate motor ??'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just stumbled on crate motors from summit and was curious on how that would work in my expedition. I've got the old 5.4 from the expedition but it is trash. Ive been think lighting swap or v10 swap.... But for 4k a 375hp crate motor sounds like a steal.

So questions are...

It should bolt right up correct?

Does a crate motor come with all the sensors and should the existing wiring harness match right up?

The stock tranny should hold up right?

I'm very new to this and just did my first engine swap so the v10 and the lightning seem very extensive for me. For 4k if it would bolt right in that would be perfect for me!

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would help if you would provide the url for the motor in question, can you modify your post with the info?

In the past when I looked at a rebuilt crate model; you get the crankcase, heads, valve covers etc but you have to provide the peripherals and water pump. Maybe you can just call summit and confirm.

Even if you went down to a junk yard or a place locally that rebuilt engines, you would want to replace anything on the engine that was prone to wear such as hoses pcv valves etc.

A direct replacement should line up with the tranny NP, but a (i think) swap to V10 might not.

Are you referring to the BluePrint Engines Ford 331 Stroker 375HP Value Power Base Crate Engines BP3315CT ?

The Engine Installation Guide.pfd states: "Go to “Engine Installation” at www.BluePrintEngines.com to find the list of recommended add-on parts and specifications for your engine."

Make:FORD
Engine Type:V8
Engine Size:5.4L/331
Engine Family:Ford small block Windsor
Camshaft Style:Hydraulic roller tappet
Fuel Delivery:Carburetor

Brand:BluePrint Engines
Manufacturer's Part Number:BP3315CT
Part Type:Crate Engines
Product Line:BluePrint Engines Ford 331 Stroker 375HP Value Power Base Crate Engines
Summit Racing Part Number:MLL-BP3315CT

Engine Assembly Style:Long block
Crate Engine Cylinder Head Material:Aluminum
Assembled:Yes
Engine Balance:External, 28 oz. imbalance
Intake Manifold Included: No
Cylinder Heads Included: Yes
Carburetor Included: No
Throttle Body Included: No
Distributor Included: No
Oil Pan Included: Yes
Valve Covers Included: Yes
Timing Cover Included: Yes
Water Pump Included: No
Harmonic Balancer Included: No
Flexplate Included: No
Flywheel Included: No
Air Cleaner Included: No
Spark Plugs Included: No
Spark Plug Wires Included: No
Computer Included: No
Wiring Harness Included: No
Rear Main Seal Style: 1-piece

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes captain that Is the motor I am referring to. I know this is all a pretty beginner questions but that is exactly what I am. I have also emailed them for answers but as a noob I don't want to be mis lead.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perfectly sound logic!

I do this much research for stuff that costs 1\100 the price and a whoooole lot less labor. I would want to know everyone's experience with the product and summit before I commit.

I would consider this a pretty major undertaking even if I had the engine stands, hoists, tools and pioneering mechanical prowess.

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well as far as tools and everything go I have everything I would need except a torque wrench and an engine stand.

I'm pretty sure if I had enough information and do enough research I could do figure it out.. Slowly. Lol

TRTLSLO

Reaction score
It will not "Just bolt up". While it does displace 5.4l, it is a stroked 302. Tranny will not bolt up, motor mounts will not bolt up, stock fuel injection will not bolt up. A V10 swap doesn't really make sense to me either, due to the extra motor weight and added expense/hassle of the rewiring and computer swap. However, the V10 will bolt to the existing tranny, not sure on motor mounts. I would add a set of ported heads, cam, and tuning to a stock 5.4 and make more power and probably better milage than the V10.

Last edited:

wheelerjb

Reaction score
Will you need to mess with the computer program that runs the motor? How will you do that?

TRTLSLO

Reaction score
Yes, that is the "tuning" part. You need a performance shop that can tune the programming, then you tell them what parts you used in the build and they reprogram your computer to work with the parts.

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They actually emailed me back and said that they don't make anything to fit my application and do not sell any add-on to fit that application...