Crossbar additional mounting hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used these style rivnuts many times, for things like oh-crud handles on A-Pillars, etc. So they are quite strong if installed right, and you don't need any special tools for them.
By no special tools I assume you are referring to the nut and bolt method? I have done it that way and had mostly good success, there is a little learning curve. I will say that using the right tool for it is easier but you do have to buy the tool. I have never used one of the air/electric tools but can only assume they are super nice if you do them often.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man you guys are braver than me......I've got a Thule XL box, and have to have the crossbars in the forward position to fit on the roof......as it is, the factory crossbar screws seem very minimal for the size of the thule Box, and I've actually got adapters coming to use my Thule Crossbars from prevous vehicle as it seems way more sturdy than the factory crossbars. This will be my setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkZPhzTn9_U

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the factory roof rails are lighter allowing a few more pounds to be stored in the box. The factory screws are more than adequate, it’s all shear strength which the factory screws provide far more than you would add to the box.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The screws are WAY stronger than the crossbars. The plastic on the crossbars will break WAY before you need to worry about the screws. The weight limit on the roof is also pretty low and its pretty easy to overload the big boxes on the roof. I actually used 3 bars with my big roof top basket, made me feel a little better, not sure it was necessary but I had it so I used it. I had an extra because I broke one and had to buy a replacement set.