Cupholder fell through console! Weird!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lurch

Reaction score
Is the one you're holding an example of what dropped, or is this what the dropped piece clipped to? Maybe someone could 3d print something? or short of buying and finding a used part, like this or something (still cheaper than a whole new cup holder assembly) but I'm not sure if this uses the same connectors or not. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253941263280?hash=item3b20142bb0:g:P-sAAOSw22lbyhxK
What I am holding is an example of what dropped. There are two of them—one for each cup slot.

Mack444

Reaction score
I don’t know how to get this into a noticeable position, but my console came apart different than described.
MY22 Timberline:
1. The leather sides clip off and on, no issues. However, the console is held in place w/ 4 bolts (used a 7mm socket on them)
1) Open the console, and pull up on the rear of the front console cover at the bottom of the "leather". The clips are made to pull up fairly easily, so you shouldn't have to pull really hard. Once the clips let go, slide it backwards to get the front clear of the dash.
I don’t know how to get this into a noticeable position, but my console came apart different than described.
MY22 Timberline:
1) The leather sides clip off and on, no issues. However, the console is held in place w/ 4 bolts (used a 7mm socket on them), 2 on each side of the front covered compartment w/ the wireless charger.

You may be wondering how and why I have come to know this…
<72 hours after driving off the lot, my brand new Yakima EXO box keys slid under the EXPEDITION emblem at the front of the center console of my brand new Timberline. Not to fear, I have retrieved the keys in just under one hour.

MaxFX4

Reaction score
This happened to my 2019 XLT Max FX4 front cup holders. If you open the center council you can remove the whole center dash by lifting it up, its hel in place my some clips. Once the whole thing is up you can get the cup holders and re-assemble. I think the band that held them in place somehow worked it self off the guides its sits in. If you can solve a pussle you can get these put back together. I spent about 20 minutes sitting in the A/C while putting it back together. Better than paying Ford some dumb shop rate for something simple.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to my 2019 XLT Max FX4 front cup holders. If you open the center council you can remove the whole center dash by lifting it up, its hel in place my some clips. Once the whole thing is up you can get the cup holders and re-assemble. I think the band that held them in place somehow worked it self off the guides its sits in. If you can solve a pussle you can get these put back together. I spent about 20 minutes sitting in the A/C while putting it back together. Better than paying Ford some dumb shop rate for something simple.
I would advise you to read the whole thread. You did not permanently fix it. It will come apart again.

MaxFX4

Reaction score
I would advise you to read the whole thread. You did not permanently fix it. It will come apart again.
Yea I did read it, and for my situation it was a complete fix and it has not fallen back through, it simply was the expansion band coming off. The post was for educational purposes and to let people know they can pull up the council and re-assemble. Troll much @wakeboarder ?

Last edited:

vandylexy

Reaction score
I am so happy to find this thread as this just happened to us on our 2020 expedition. I found some YouTube videos on how to fix it, but I am afraid to mess with the console.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I did read it, and for my situation it was a complete fix and it has not fallen back through, it simply was the expansion band coming off. The post was for educational purposes and to let people know they can pull up the council and re-assemble. Troll much @wakeboarder ?
Post 66 in this thread shares my experience along with others that the rubber band fix wasn’t permanent for them or myself. It only takes one person to push a big Yetti cup in hard to pop the bottom loose again.

For reference posts 40, 47, 60, and 70 show more robust solutions.

In reference to the troll comment, my post was intended to be helpful to you so your cupholder can be fixed at a convenient time for you.

Thrice

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on this. I've only temporarily fixed mine but something is better than nothing and now I know how to do a more permanent solution in the future thanks to the good posts in here.

christophertowle

Reaction score
Have been following this thread for a while. Attempt 1 was to do some plastic welding to offer a bit more stabilization and this worked for about a year. Went back in and did the screw thing and we will see how that goes. I have three teens with Stanley cups and I have observed them somewhat slamming them into the cupholder which was probably accelerating the failure. I let them know that next time this happens that they will be spending the $180 on a replacement part, not mom and dad.

Thanks for all of the contributors and good ideas to collectively solve this sub-par design. Another video I have found while debugging this in in the link below. #dadlife

Youtube series on console repair

PXL_20231107_181406275-COLLAGE.jpg