cylinder #1 dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1bad99expo

Reaction score
Truck started to hesitate real bad & sputters ran codes coming up cylinder 1 misfire. I have replaced spark plugs,coil pack,plug,fuel injector..fuel injector & coil pack are both getting power. I removed the new plug I put in today & it had a few small drops of oil on it. I'm at a loss right now..any ideas? By the way its a 1999 5.4 101,000 miles

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a compression check on that hole. If its any less than 100psi then you will have to do a leak down test to see where it's going.
Make sure it's on compression stroke for the 2nd test.

zags

Reaction score
You may want to test the ground side wiring of the fuel injector to see if it is shorted, causing the fuel injector to stay open all of the time. Also, check for an open in the coil ground circuit. Either of these problems could be wiring or inside the PCM. Knowing what codes are in the PCM would be helpful also. Just throwing parts at it is a really expensive way to try to fix it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1bad99expo

Reaction score
I tapped on the harness that goes to the pcm & the misfire went away drove fine for 3 miles then misfire came back pulled over tapped it again misfire went away...bad pcm or something loose in the harness?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could have a break in the wire or a loose connection in the plug. Try re-seating the connector. If that doesn't correct it, start at one end of the harness and bend it back and forth while inching down the length of it.

OP
OP

1bad99expo

Reaction score
I have a green & white wire that runs on the cylinder 1 coil pack to the pcm I believe could I just re wire them & see what happens?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1