Cylinder 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far the champion is performing well. Gonna take it out and check it after a few more days
This will be very odd if this happens and the champion holds up. For many years I've only put the champion plugs even though I hate champions for a car, in these 3 valve Ford's because they were the one-piece design.
I didn't find out until a little bit ago that Ford had changed their design to one piece also.
I know there was a lot of talk on some forums about some counterfeit NGK plugs pink salt on Amazon or Ebay. There were copies of emails from NGK confirming that the numbers on those plug should not have been there and they were not in ngk plugs.
That's the reason I asked if it came from a local parts store and not a big box store like Walmart or an online retailer. Eventually I guess it won't make any difference. Stuff will still slip through the cracks and we're going to have to be very careful if you find out a way to determine the difference if this becomes widespread.
Even if the welds were weak it would seem very odd for the entire electrode Shield to come off.
Of course I'm not in there when every combustion, fairly strong explosion takes place like 20 times a second.
Hope it holds up.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d check the compression on that cylinder and file a claim with motor craft/autozone. To have a chunk of metal floating around a cylinder not once, but twice is never good. Hopefully it didn’t score up the cylinder wall on its eventual way out. Any way to stick a fiber optic camera down in the cylinder hole and check compression?

txracer16

Reaction score
I have seen this before. Engine never showed signs of damage and ran fine after replacing the plug. One theory is that cylinder is running lean due to dirty injector. The increased cylinder temp due to lean mixture causes the plug to fail, just a theory. Never hurts to clean fuel injectors though, plug does look pretty white(indication of lean).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen this before. Engine never showed signs of damage and ran fine after replacing the plug. One theory is that cylinder is running lean due to dirty injector. The increased cylinder temp due to lean mixture causes the plug to fail, just a theory. Never hurts to clean fuel injectors though, plug does look pretty white(indication of lean).
It's a sad day when a spark plug and fail from being overheated from being lean. I drove a 3400 GM with blown head gaskets 14 miles to the junkyard with no coolant in the motor. It died twice and luckily restarted and I rolled into the junkyard with flames coming out from under the hood. Had to pour 3/4 of a gallon of water on it to put them out. It got so hot it melted the rubber hoses and the wires going to the TPS and the rubber hoses were on fire. I can guarantee those spark plugs were just fine.
Yet another reason that spark plug design and the head design on the three valve is an absolute abomination.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 5.4 3V, it fixed a lot of the fundamental problems with the 2V motor. With 3 valves and variable cam timing it outflows the older engine big time and it doesn’t fall on its face in the upper revs. Bonus is no worry of plugs shooting out and better head gaskets on the 3V. I’ve done the plugs on both my 2007s no problem.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like my 5.4 3V, it fixed a lot of the fundamental problems with the 2V motor. With 3 valves and variable cam timing it outflows the older engine big time and it doesn’t fall on its face in the upper revs. Bonus is no worry of plugs shooting out and better head gaskets on the 3V. I’ve done the plugs on both my 2007s no problem.

Very little problems with the two valve plug shooting out if they were tightened properly. I should say if they were tightened enough. The problem is people rely on manufacturing published torque specs and manufacturer's recommendations too much. They were talking these things to like 12 to 14 foot pounds or 18 or whatever it was before Ford revise the spec and tighten them up tighter. People who are doing their own or private garages with old school text who just knew how to tighten a plug by feel but not strip out the aluminum in the threads had no problems with these plugs coming out.
I have never put a torque wrench on a spark plug in my entire life.
They are not head bolts.
This is a classic example where I get into arguments with people about not following the manufacturer's recommendation or believe in the engineers that design something so much. Because it often takes them for 5 years sometimes longer to figure out they made a mistake and correct their problem. Experience in the field in the trenches actually doing it is often much more accurate and valuable than manufacture recommendations or what the dealers do because they're told to.
I wouldn't trade you any 3 valve for a 2000. As a matter of fact I don't own any three valves and don't plan on it. They are like a Northstar Cadillac. It's not a matter of if you have problems it's when. If you keep them long enough you're going to have problems and it will be a lot sooner than on a 2 valve engine.
Myself and several of my friends intentionally don't buy 3-valve Motors because of this.
People who don't mind spending 250 to $400 in parts and several hours or don't mind taking one to the garage and getting a $1200-1800 repair done are probably okay with the three valves because like you said you get a little bit more power but I have never needed more power in any of my 4.6 or 5.4 s.
But I am quite the minimalist as far as vehicles and repairs go.