Cylinder 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dlsgap

Reaction score
Had plugs and coilpacks changed in my 08 EL about 20k ago... A couple weeks ago she started running really rough. It was right after I refueled at a station I normally don't use so I just figured it didn't like the gas.. Two tanks later it hadn't cleared up but it finally showed a code so I started troubleshooting. Turns out the electrode was missing from the cylinder 1 plug. Changed the plug, problem solved... Ran smooth as ever.
Then this morning it started running rough again and it showed the same cylinder 1 misfire code. I haven't checked the plug yet but I'm guessing it's going to be the same issue. Any idea what might be causing this?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. Is there a possibility cylinder #1 allows the plug to go "just enough" deeper into the cylinder?

OP
OP
D

Dlsgap

Reaction score
That was the first one... Here's the one today... Just put this one in Tuesday the week before last

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191209142656127_COVER.jpg

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta be a manufacturing defect causing the electrode to fall off. Is the tip damaged in any way?

Oh, I'd fish a magnet into the cylinder to try to catch the electrode. Odds are its lodged in the Cat, along with the other one.

OP
OP
D

Dlsgap

Reaction score
No sign of it in the cylinder. So it likely is in the cat like you said. The tip actually looks like it may have been hit or scraped... Checking the old one in a bit to see if it's the same

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My fear is that the piston is loose on the connecting rod and it hit the plug
Unlikely, and if it was "loose", it would be farther away from the head, not closer. (Cylinder pressure would "push" it away). And if the connecting rod was indeed loose, it wouldn't last very long; you'd probably be asking the forum how much should a new engine cost.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you drive it hard or hit rev limiter on shifts?

Never seen this style plug get hit but have seen other engines smack plug gap shut.
It is not a good thing.
Only one I had do it was an old 67 200 ford inline 6.
Only did it on high rpm revs.

I think it was connecting rod stretch, could have been wrist pin too but never made a nose and never blew up.

If you are going to keep it and not have shop tear into it (which will get really expensive really quickly) you are going to have to find a way to raise that plug out or cyl a little.
Are those motorcraft plugs and were they bought from a local parts store?

If not, do both. Too many chap and counter fit plugs on ebay and amazon now.

If the plugs were not what I said above I would try it once more with a store bought motorcraft plug and if it does it again, find some way to raiss plug up
Will be hard to do with these as I don't think the make a non fouler for this style.

You could try crush washers but probably too thin and seal is questionable, or a threaded short sleeve about 1/8 inch (probably best) might be able to find brass compression style adapters and drill center out to fit though.
You only want it to come out/up about 1/8-3/16 of inch.

OP
OP
D

Dlsgap

Reaction score
They were Motorcraft plugs purchased from AutoZone... I drive like a grandma trying to maximize fuel mileage and never speed. My wife actually makes fun of me for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69