Cylinder #7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could use a noid light and check the injector and cop terminal for pulsation. If both tests are good, check the connectors if they are loose. (If it wiggles slightly from side to side). You could slightly bend the tab for a tighter fit. If all these are ok, then you may need to do a cylinder compression test followed by a leakdown test. Good luck!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Injector.

Switch it over with the next one and see if the miss follows

Iniectors are an easy 5 min affair, unbolt fuel rail pull up till the needed injectors clear the block, and click them out of their slots....just wear gloves and bring paper shoptowels as they'll drip a bit of fuel

OP
OP
J

JZiegler

Reaction score
I'm going to back up to first having problems. About 6 months ago, I drove through a Texas thunderstorm with "torrential" rain. It was bad enough that water was getting on top of my motor even though I was traveling at 85+ mph. My grandson needed me. I am his bestest GRANDMA (Oma). I am mechanically inclined, can rebuild most motors inside of 6 hours with all the parts at my side! Anyway, after this day, I started having numerous problems and was fixing them as they appeared. So, when my OBD II reader showed 3 misfires along with other problems, I fixed all the quick ones and left the misfires for a short time, I changed the front four plugs and was down to 2 misfires #4 & #7 I ordered a complete set of COP's because I had found on the plug change that my COP's in the back were coming apart, literally! When the packs came in, I replaced all 8 plugs, checked the connector gaskets, added dielectric grease to them, I replaced all 8 COP's and reassembled the vents and all the wires, hoses and crap under the hood that makes working on them a PITA! I test drove while running the OBD II coder and received #7 misfire. I believed it may just be build up in the cylinder so I drove it hard for a week. You know like a man, because I have a lead foot! The following weekend, I swapped the coil pack with the one beside it. Misfire stayed on #7. My connectors are tight, no water, no bad COP's, Motorcraft Plugs, just can't get rid of this stupid misfire and my inspection is now past due! So, I will be trying the noid light after my husband brings my car back tonight. He took it to work to test the wiring harness because my meter is missing.

Anything else you may think of...I'm checking aside from asking or stating things that may imply my lack of knowledge like where #7 is located!

PS The bad COP's #7 & #8 the connector (the end that looks like a plug wire, in case you don't think I would know) separated, the spring was stretched and broken on one, and the other was attached to the plug and stretched. Both boots came off the hard plastic body in pieces. I think #7 was dead before the storm and it just didn't throw a code until after. If so, would carbon build up take this long to clean up?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys that the same thing, think about it! Either way you slice it, the winner is, drum roll please, #7

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I apologize, didn't see female anywhere in your post. Was referring the guy in my posts. You didn't mention the torrential rain storm until now. You drowned everything under the hood, never a good thing. At this point I would pull both the #7 connector spray out with electrical cleaner, do the same with injector connector for that cylinder. As posted earlier, you've got water in one of those plugs, gotta be. Now you know why you don't buy a car/ truck with flood damage.

OP
OP
J

JZiegler

Reaction score
I apologize, didn't see female anywhere in your post. Was referring the guy in my posts. You didn't mention the torrential rain storm until now. You drowned everything under the hood, never a good thing. At this point I would pull both the #7 connector spray out with electrical cleaner, do the same with injector connector for that cylinder. As posted earlier, you've got water in one of those plugs, gotta be. Now you know why you don't buy a car/ truck with flood damage.

Ok, I have already done that to the connector, I'll do the injector tonight. I will also recheck all my plugs and replace any that are dirty in anyway. Even if it is overkill, you never know.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the spark plugs, try #7 first, since you keep getting that code, something involving #7 should be your solution.

mmurphy1313

Reaction score
id guess injector.....but id rule out wires first, maybe even try seafoam or lucas product first before diggin in.
how many miles? which engine?