Dedicated Snow Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was unable to find a thread about those of us in the snow belt who switch out for dedicated snow tires.

I've been reading reviews on tirerack for several tires, but none seem to be written by expedition owners. Got our first big snow of the year today, love the truck in the snow but feel it could be a bit better with snow tires for this time of year.

Anyone got dedicated tires? Any recommendation for stock sized ones?

Thanks!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive never ran snow tires on a 4wd, with that i use to sell tires and the cooper ST not the STT is a great snow tire that is studable, also the cooper discover M&S is designed as a snow tire with heavy siping and studable..

if you want to step up from there, the Nokian Hakka SUV.. designed and tested at the artic circle the rubber compunds and pattend stud design works great but cost a premium..

i would stay away from the Hankook RW series of snow tires they don't wear well and don't have an agressive pattern at all

hope this helps

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i worked at a tire company that sold the nokian tires. we used the hakkapelitta on our dodge sprinters and loved them. also the nokian wr g2 suv is a great snow tire that you can run all year. better price than the hakka and almost as good. have bought two sets on my wifes tucson because she said it made her front wheel drive crapbox feel like 4x4. got about 50k on them as an all year round tire as well.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i run firestone winterforce studded on my expedition...cheap and work amazing!!!!

on my excursion i run cooper discoverer M+S studded...amazing tires much more $$ but worth it.

very happy with both tires, we dont salt here so the roads are ice/snow covered all winter.

019-15.jpg
020-17.jpg
021-18.jpg

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would only bother with them if i had rims I didn't want to run in the snow, otherwise there are alot of good tires out there. my buddy threw on some good year duratrax on his chevy 2500, and he hasn't had to put it into 4wd yet this year (and we just got 5" of snow)

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the regular procomp ATs... non_Xtreme ATs... have winter rating and a lot of people around me run them with good luck

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am running the Firestone Destination AT's and so far they have excellent traction on dry, rain, and snow.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I went the same route. I just run All Terrains, and nothing stops them. Believe me , I've tried. I would like to throw a set of Duratracs on my Jeep though. Have heard nothing but good things about them on the Wrangler forums.

Last edited:

omegalita

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive my Cooper STT MT all seasons...but you have to know how to drive in snowy condition...! And when it's getting harder, i have 4 snow chains ... or i drive with the Skoda Octavia 4x4... :)