Dirty Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peak11

Reaction score
I posted a thread yesterday about how my fuel guage went from Full to empty and the digital readout went from 330 miles to empty to ----. Well I have found out this is due to high sulphur content in some of the gas. I live in Albuquerque, NM. The tech said it is not damaging to the engine, it is that the high sulphur causes the fuel sensor to not operate properly. It will take 4 tanks to completely rid the tank of sulphur.

Just wanted to pass it on to anyone who is experiencing the same issue.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although I sincerely hope that this is the case for you, I doubt it. A quick internet search finds that all gasolines (at least here in the US) have about the same level of sulphur (~350 ppm). There is a big push to reduce it, but it will take a while. In the mean time, we all have the about the same sulphur levels.

I think that you were given a line to make you leave!!! The gas flow sensor should not be effected by the sulphur levels....in my opinion. If this were the case, a lot more people would be having this issue.

Keep an eye on it.