DO I HAVE {AWD or FULL TIME 4WD}

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys need some help on this one. i have an 01' 4x4 xlt 5.4l and need to know if my xp is considered a full time 4 wheel drive or an all wheel drive system. i have 3 selections on my 4x4 swithes they read as follows{ A4WD - 4HI - 4LO ] this decision is very important , because the lift kit i have chosen says"will not work with factory full time 4 wheel drive models" so you can see by making wrong decision could be drastic. if anyone can tell me where to find this info or already has it please let me know. this site is my best shot so please help if can.
ANDY <><

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that in the '01, the A4WD is the same as in my '98, in that the term means "Automatic 4WD". In this mode, the center diff clutch will automatically engage when it senses slipping in the rear wheels. This is what the factory manaul says about it:

"In A4WD, the generic electronic module (GEM) varies the torque split between front and rear drivelines by controlling the transfer case clutch. The transfer case clutch allows for slight speed differences between the front and rear driveshafts which normally occurs when negotiating a corner on dry pavement. When the rear wheels are overpowered, the GEM detects this slip condition, and the duty cycle to the transfer case clutch is increased until the speed difference between driveshafts is reduced."

In any case, it is not considered a "Full Time 4WD" system, but you may want to ask the manufacturer of the lift kit if it is compatible with the '01 Expy.

To be honest, I can't think why it wouldn't work.........

OP
OP

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks rwinch! i didnt think it would be considered full time , i took it out in the dirt and when you punch it from a stopped position , the fronts dont start turning for aways. i will ask before purchasing, its fabtech that i have chosen seems to have the best engineering and most complete kit.

OP
OP

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bad news fabtech tells me my xp is considered fulltime 4wd. and that they dont reccomend there lift for me. they say to many driveline vibrations. :(