Do you all trust Kelly Blue Book Ranges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spending $200 or $300 on a really good detailing job and great pictures will sell it light years faster than poor pictures and a semi clean vehicle.

+1. My wife and I detailed my last SUV ourselves, but it's the same concept (I'm just a cheap ass and wanted to save the $200-300). It came out so well that I almost didn't want to sell it. Anyway, I got $2,600 (at the time above private party, below retail for a clean vehicle) for a 15 y/o Mountaineer with 240K on the clock and completely rotted out suspension because the truck looked so damn good.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good detail is worth every penny whether you do it yourself or take it to a shop. You'll realize it in a higher priced sale, better reception from people looking and less likely to gripe about little things since it will seem you actually cared for the vehicle.

When I sold the grand prix I had listed back in the late spring the first person who came to look at it had low expectations due to the 183k, the front end damage and was absolutely floored when he sat in a near pristine interior without a spec of grime or fingerprint on anything. Steam cleaned windows and interior panels look nearly new when you're done, a suitable dressing gives it that finishing touch.

Its like makeup, minimize the flaws while highlighting the good stuff. I used that to my advantage with the negotiating. While I obviously can't make an unpainted bumper, mismatched color hood even remotely better I was able to make everything else so impressive they overlook the other cosmetic issues, for a daily just to cruise to his factory job the great interior held greater weight than a perfect front end. He could tell it was well cared for other than the hit it took up front and was willing to accept it and I only came off 10% from asking which was only a couple hundred bucks.

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the case all over the US, but here in Houston, the used car market is on fire as dealers are constantly emailing/mailing us offers for our '15 Explorer Sport & '17 Exp Ltd. I have always suspected that dealers earn far higher margins on used than new car sales, so the lower the cost of the trade-in, the more the profit margin on resale. I have sold private and traded in, but when I have traded in, I do not mention the trade until I have the drive out price of the car, that way it is more difficult for them to massage numbers.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other advantage to trading in is in the taxes. Illinois recently capped the amount you can deduct from the deal but if you were to buy a car in cash or financing it for say $50K, here in IL the state will tack on another $4,125 or so in tax. Plus license fees, etc. and any local county tax. If your trade is worth $25k your taxed only on the difference, so you save $2K in taxes. Your states may be different and IL recently changed that nice bit of savings, but factor that in to your decision.

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
I would agree with using NADA over KBB. I keep my vehicles in excellent shape and no dealer has offered me more than Fair value on any trade-in in the last 10 years, Carmax included.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never rely solely on Kelley Bluebook, or any other single source. I prefer to collect a range of actual sale and asking prices for similiar vehicle in my area to make my own value determination.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Hola, new guy here and wanted add my $.02. Not only is your location important but also what you're trading in. You're never going to get top dollar trade in on a Nissan Altima because there are 10 million of them.

I picked up a 2017 CPO Expedition XLT yesterday and the dealership gave me high-end KBB trade-in, FWIW.

Reaction score
I am about to move up from my 2008 Expy Eddie Bauer EL to a 2020 Max. The dealers are offering me crap for trade-in and my Expy has been garage kept and has 94K with heavy options. No issues other than slight corrosion as bottom of rear hatch where they all do.

KBB says private party 9600 - 12400. Should I ask near the top of the range?

I have not sold a vehicle privately in 20 years.

Thanks
Did you end up selling it or trading it in? I'm looking for an EL in that range...

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
No one's paying those prices for an '08 in New York... Here it might fetch $6500 if clean. It's 14 years old. Maybe without the east coast rust, you get big bucks there. I hope you do!