Do you trust your first gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JabroniBro

Reaction score
I'm possibly picking up a '99 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 and 139k miles today or next week. I'm selling a car I financed because the allure of going back to no payments is too strong. I need a rig that is reliable enough to commute 40miles a day four times a week, haul a couple kids and a dog over mountain passes, and get up maintained logging roads to trail heads to hike and kayak. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, having come from a lifted '96 Cherokee and enjoy working on cars but I can't afford to have my car give up on me on my way to work, etc.

So the question is, do you trust your first gen Expedition to do what you ask of it without constantly worrying about it breaking down?

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. I've driven my 2001 4.6l with 250k 45 minutes to and from work for the past 8 months and I've had no issues other than a misfire and a blown tire. I've done much maintenance on it however, from the previous owner just not doing ANYTHING good to it. So I'm sure my contribution to fixing things has helped out a lot. If you keep proper care and stay on top of your maintenance schedule then I think it'll last you a while.

Plati

Reaction score
I don't have a first Gen, have a 2003 with 180K. No I don't really trust it. I drove it on a 6K trip in 2015 and said "never again". I only drive it local now. Bought a 2014EL for trips.

At that age … all the vacuum lines and hoses are subject to fail. The parking brake is ridiculous. Hubs have gone bad, batteries, 3rd alternator, brake lines, EGR sensor, rear diff leaks, window regulators, rear wiper sticks & drains battery, doors don't say closed in winter, liftgate window hinges, serpentine belt idler pulley, fuel filters, lower steering shaft, high pressure steering hose, various wiring fails, thumping problem, suspension link … I pay about $800 year past few years in parts & repairs and I consider myself lucky!

In other words its a 16 year old vehicle. Gotta be able to work on it yourself or forget it!
Love that BEAST thought. The 5.4 is running strong, only uses 1/2 quart in 5K miles.
You do what you can, buy what you can afford I guess.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
5 1/2 years....220,000 miles....no major repairs
I cant say I've had any major repairs either … 16 years & 181,000 miles
just a series of smallish $500 or less repair jobs

xcept for the drivetrain warranty work during the first year

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Currently on a weekend trip on the mountains with the family. 2000 5.4 that rolled 258k miles yesterday.

It also serves as the main family hauler around town on the weekends.

I commute in it daily- probably 30 miles daily with any of the other running around that I need to do.

It’s also been driven to each coast fairly recently.

And I like to drive into the mountains well off the beaten path (where a tow would cost $1000) to camp and get away.

So yeah, I trust it.

mustpaike

Reaction score
No matter how much i would like to say yes. I still have to say no. My 1997 5.4 EB has left me on the road the most times out of all the cars I have owned. Just recently I had a rod in the shifter column break, leaving me stranded with the truck in reverse at 11PM on a Thursday night. Last summer I had 3 brake line leaks, ending with a complete brake failure mid drive. Never mind having the frontmost frame attachment points on the body completely rust away.

Still love it, despite all the repairs and grief.

Strangely my 1997 MarkVIII has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, despite having 260k miles on the clock.

Yager

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd drive mine anywhere. With my 10 month old in there without a worry in the world. 161k and going strong. Does 120 mile commute everyday 5 days a week at 85 plus. Gets wheeled pretty hard on the weekends. Keep up on maintenance and listen to the old gal now and then and u should be fine. My previous rig was a 2000 f150 with the same drivetrain. Did 360k on her with regular trips from Florida to Michigan pulling my car trailer for a few years. There good trucks. Treat em right and they will keep on going.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% trust my 2000 xlt 5.4. Just rolled 374,000. Take it everywhere i can. I live on the east coast and I'm planning a cross country trip. My parents bought it used at 17,000 on it and it has never broken down or been on a tow truck once. Once i turned 18 they gave it to me. I cant tell you how many times we have pushed it above and beyond its limits and it always perform perfectly. All im saying is that its almost 20 years old has 374,000 miles on it and i don't worry a bit when i floor it.

MrsHarper

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer's 5.4 with over 200K. Got it at 160K when our other ride threw a rod on a cross country trip. Bought it in Utah. It has a towing edition and I've no doubt did many mountain and off road adventures. Sadly I'm getting a van today. I'm not the main mechanic in my house, and we just have other priorities lately. But I'm going to something newer/less miles, and still no payment. No payment is my favorite too. I drive my expedition about 30 miles sometimes more most days with at least 1 to 3 over 230 mile trips a month to the city. Sadly I do little off road these days minus an occasional trip to the farm. My muddy drive way has been fun a few times and will definitely be stuck in the van verse my sweet expedition.

My expedition left me stranded at least once with 2 kids and baby; thankfully I was taught to be somewhat prepared for things like this to happen and I luckily was in a decent place. And I forget what was wrong but it was a fix my husband did with ease. The Ujoint got fixed over a year ago. It just wasn't driving right, and I had my trusted mechanic shop take a look; I had to make him drive it twice at high speeds before he felt it. It has been a process to learn what the previous owner left worn and what wear and tear we've done. It did fantastic getting us where we were going and home on the cross country trip when we bought it. We just changed the alternator in the last year. Overall, it has just been minor things. I've been working on an electrical issue when I can trying to diagnose it's symptoms and learn how to read the charts. I have a rear air conditioner fan that has been needing fixed for years now. It just needs the spark plugs looked at and likely changed. I've been studying up on that for a few months here in this forum; its actually what made me finally stop and find this forum. I was getting excited to see who wanted to have me aid in the work.

If you are able and willing to put in the work even with minor stuff, and occasionally maybe pay someone else for some repair, go for it! And this forum is awesome! I've been Pretty silent, but I've learned a lot here and have the books. I love my expedition. I personally am up for trying a cross country trip! It sounds like it will fit your lifestyle! Just prepare for what the previous owner has not fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants