Does 4x8 Plywood/Drywall Fit in the back of a 2022?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spta97

Reaction score
I'm thinking of someday replacing my 2007 Nissan Armada and, as much as I have loved it, it seems the competition has surpassed.

This has me considering the Expedition (Regular, not Max).

I searched but did not see anything definitive. So my questions:

1) Does a 4x8 sheet of plywood fit in the back?
2) Will the rear hatch close?
3) Is there any room on the sides (even enough for a moving blanket to protect) or will it scratch up the interior?
4) Any pics? :)

Thanks!

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4x8 sheet should in the max, with hatch closed. Don’t bet on carrying 20 sheets.
And tolerances are tight between the panels.

I debated the exact same thing and did a bunch of research. Dimensions are same as 2021, nothing so far pointed to any of that changing.

Personally, I’m gonna spend $25 renting a uhaul trailer and get my plywood and supplies in that.
Costs a lot more to fix a scratch on the interior than that. Yea. Minor inconvenience to get it, but those costs outweigh the potential cons for me.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the old EL and new Max can do 4x8 sheets. The standard length doesn’t have 8 feet behind the seats

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My expedition + a $700 6x8 utility trailer is just as good if not much better than a pickup truck at hauling things like plywood and lumber. Payload on the trailer is about the same plus it's much easier load and unload. Just something to consider.

OP
OP
S

spta97

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

In my Armada when I have had to haul sheets I kept the hatch open and strapped it down to the hitch via the handle (and put a towel down where the gate rested on the plywood. Is that an option for the Exp? Does it have a good place to tie on the hatch?

If I had room to store a trailer I def would have one by now but my property is limited on space unfortunately.

I suppose renting one is an option but it's such a hassle (not that it happens often). Last large sheet was a 4x8 sheet of 2" thick insulating foam. I suppose something like that would fit and don't have to worry about scratching?

It's something I do not do very frequently but I love the capability when I need.

I've also hauled quite a bit of pavers in the hatch - anyone know what the safe interior payload limit is?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everytime I load ours for vacation or whatever I always wish I had an EL or Max. Never once have I thought I'm glad this is a foot shorter instead.

I have hauled 4x8 foam sheets in a 2008 Armada and my EB though, for some reason I feel like the Armada had an inch or two more space behid the seats than my 03.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I built my shed and needed to haul those 4x8 plywood, I had to leave the gate opened and strap it with couple straps. Make sure you use a lot of moving blankets to protect the interior. I was able to haul 2x4x12 stick out from the gate's window.