Does Anybody Here Worry About Rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rust, no… not really. I feel like electrical or mechanical issues will be the downfall way before rust.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Here in metropolitan New York, we get 20 years with Expeditions before the rust becomes a problem. At that point it's usually 250,000 miles and time to go anyway. Seems every model manifest a weak point. The first generation radiator supports and rear body mounts rust away, the third generation's rocker panels disappear. But the trucks remain structurally sound for at least 20 years. Hopefully the new ones will do the same.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, undercarriage done with CorrosionFree. Have my Lariat done by Ford with 10 year warranty, not sure if it will work or not but my trucks I beat anyway. The Expedition I care more for as my wife and kids tote around in it.

We are in Toronto and get salt brine spray and salt/sand on roadways and parking lots.

Someone mentioned earlier, washing and maintaining the vehicle throughout the year is important.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the metal and prep and paint used by ford today, have enough durability to keep almost every vehicle mostly rust free.

If you run through a decent car wash every few weeks in the crap season, the vehicles are fine.

I don't change my oil every three thousand miles nor do I undercoat anymore.

Um, no. Significant rust is an inevitability for many of us.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I can't figure out about Ford is my Expy's frame has a nice looking paint job and has held up well in Utah's over salted roads. So has the body ( low miles). But right off the lot the rear drive line is pre rusted, the axles and the rear diff. The part number is literally stuck to a rusty piece. My old 15' F-150 had a nice frame job with a rusty rear diff, drive line's and pitman arm. My 17' Super duty has a painted rear drive line, but the entire rear diff was rust and so was the steering knuckles. All right off the lot. Not sure why this is, maybe to sell you the under coating. I usually hit it with POR15 then spray it with a semi gloss black paint. Works pretty good, but would love to have the stuff Big H has.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I can't figure out about Ford is my Expy's frame has a nice looking paint job and has held up well in Utah's over salted roads. So has the body ( low miles). But right off the lot the rear drive line is pre rusted, the axles and the rear diff. The part number is literally stuck to a rusty piece. My old 15' F-150 had a nice frame job with a rusty rear diff, drive line's and pitman arm. My 17' Super duty has a painted rear drive line, but the entire rear diff was rust and so was the steering knuckles. All right off the lot. Not sure why this is, maybe to sell you the under coating. I usually hit it with POR15 then spray it with a semi gloss black paint. Works pretty good, but would love to have the stuff Big H has.
My 2020 Super Duty had the same issues with rust on the axles and drive shafts. The axles and drive shafts must sit outside in the weather before assembly have don't have much paint on them to start. As such, they are rusty when the trucks leave the Kentucky Truck plant. I painted my axles and drive shafts prior to having the truck sprayed with Corrosion Free. Agree that Ford could do better in this area with paint on the driveline components.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Raising this thread to pose another rust related question. I have a bunch of Texas red dirt stuck under my 19 platinum. I bought it from Houston and drove it back to Colorado. I have had it for 8 plus months, did my first oil change recently and noticed much of the red dirt is still caked on much of the underside. The IC boots all the way through the drive train. The felt covers are now clean but wondering if I should spray it off with a pressure washer. Sounds like Australia has some similar dirt and guys end up running a sprinkler under the car to get it to come off. Some of it fell in my mouth while changing the oil and it seems pretty salty. Yea gross...

Anybody dealt with this or from that part of Texas? I am wondering if the felt covers are meant to keep high pressure spray from getting to any of the components on the drivetrain. Not really sure of the felt covers purposes. I worry about corrosion with it being left alone, not likely to be a big deal here in Colorado but could be with the moisture and Mag sulfate we do have here. Any opinions appreciated, I worry about excessive costs down the road.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a car wash that offers underneath spray and run it through a few times.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ It was a stupid comment when he made it 1.5 years ago and it's a stupid comment now. :p