Does your oil pressure gauge ever move?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Guys

I know I am "old school" and used to mechanical gauges - but the digital gauge on my Expedition doesn't ever move

It goes straight to the midpoint on start up and sits at the midpoint whether the engine is cold, hot, under load or just idling.

On a mechanical gauge I am used to high pressure when cold, lower pressure when hot and the pressure to raise and fall somewhat with engine revs.

I am assuming that they have just smoothed out those variables in the Software on the Expedition so that it only shows midpoint unless there is an issue, but it seems to be a pointless gauge if it's programmed never to move. Could have used the space for something else and just had a warning light instead.

If everyone else's is moving as normal then I will start panicking :) :)

Thanks

Mark

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was discussed on a thread here earlier this year I think - apparently the gauge is more of a good/bad thing. The sensor possibly only reports "adequate" oil pressure, not a measurement.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, the new sensors all just send the needle to the middle to show things are "safe" and if there is a problem, then the needle drops to one end completely. Stupid and nearly useless, but everything is "dumbed-down" for todays consumers.

Dillon Cawthon

Reaction score
Like was said they are "dummy" gauges.

They've been like that on Ford models for the past 15 years or better.

Apparently people get worried when they see a real pressure guage fluctuating.

cgcg

Reaction score
Like was said they are "dummy" gauges.

They've been like that on Ford models for the past 15 years or better.

Apparently people get worried when they see a real pressure guage fluctuating.

----- Unless these gauges have changed recently ----

Unfortunately, I know from experience here... Yes it's a binary "GO/NOGO" guage.

I accidently put 9 Quarts of oil in 5.0 F150 (2011). My wife was driving the Truck when the OIL pressure guage went to 0 , check engine light, bells whistles.

Turns out, the oil pressure sensor blew, took it to the dealer. they replaced the guage and put the normal 8 quarts (technically 7.9) in.

Thankfully it never damaged anything.

But that's when I learned that you might as well have an LED light rather than an "analog looking" needle gauge because the needle position doesn't mean anything.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the 90's Ford used real oil pressure gauges but saved a small amount of money by using a pressure switch and a resistor on the instrument panel circuit. Simple to fix by replacing the pressure switch with a gauge sender and removing the resistor or jumping it with a plain wire.

Dunno if that's possible on 21st Century Fords or if the gauge itself is a fake, or is directly computer controlled and the computer wouldn't know what to do if the pressure switch was replaced with a gauge sender.

OP
OP
M

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will try not to let it annoy me every tome I look at it.

It is most amusing when it’s still showing healthy oil pressure when the engine is turned off by the auto start stop!!!

Mark